1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Guided reading in nursery? Discuss!

Discussion in 'Early Years' started by aquiesce, Mar 5, 2011.

1. [​IMG]
    What are your views?

2. [​IMG]
    What are your views?

3. inky

inky Lead commenter

Unprintable

4. Wotworklifebalance

Wotworklifebalance New commenter

I'm with Inky! Surely this is just what in the good old days we called reading a story?!

5. Which is what children need lots of!

You can say that you do guided reading in nursery and still be just sharing a story as the first thing children need to learn is to love books, how to handle them, that they can be enjoyed, that things happen in them etc etc. So if the powers that be want guided reading to be on the time table, agree, and use your story sharing as 'guided reading'. No longer is guided reading a session where each child has the same book and all read a page each. Literacy lessons have come a long way since then! We do 'guided reading' in my reception class, and I don't think we've used a set of books for it since January, but the children have learnt so much more!

6. Teacher: Ok children now open your books...
    (2 seconds later)
    Teacher: Sorry children wait there ten minutes whilst I go and change a nappy
    Children: We're bored. Let's go and play.