1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Guided Reading help!

Discussion in 'Primary' started by MrsLouBLou, Nov 1, 2011.

1. This is more of a book ideas than help... I am good at guided reading sessions I am just drawing a blank.

I left my last school due to relocation and I am currently unemployed. I previously taught Year 5 where my average reader was a level 4c-4a (I had a very good class at reading)

I have an interview where I need to run a guided reading session for children of a 3c-3b ability level and I am struggling for book ideas. Obviously not being in a school, I do not have a bank of books I can go to. I was thinking of Anne Fine's diary of a killer cat, but is this too basic?

Anybody else got any ideas? I obviously want to select the section to read and prepare my questions and activities in advance.

All help is greatly appreciated...

2. greta444

greta444 New commenter

The Hodgeheg?

3. Horse Pie by Dick King Smith. Opening chapters - quite a lot of inference in it.

4. I love guided reading. I'm also told I'm good at it but I don't know what it is that I'm doing that's special. I've come to the conclusion that it's probably simply BECAUSE I love it. Yay.
    Far be it from me to dissuade anyone from Anne Fine who is, IMHO, the finest children's writer ever. On TP I did the Letters & Authors unit with Y5 and a few of them wrote to her asking downright weird questions about her domestic set-up haha and I included a covering letter in which I gushed a bit (...compared Flour Babies to The Catcher In The Rye). She sent us back a lovely, handwritten letter (in which she answered the kids' weird Qs) and some goodies for the library. So she's as lovely as she is brilliant. [​IMG]
    As it's an interview lesson, maybe you'd want to do something you can actually finish in the session - so you can say 'this is what we have learnt'. On TP when I was observed doing GR, I did a one-off session where we looked at a leaflet I'd picked up at a service station for an aquarium. Service stations are an ace resource for that! And ideal for GR cos you can cheekily pick up 6 zoo brochures, 6 toy museum leaflets, etc.! The children really liked it, I supposed because of the real-life context (and then you're developing opportunities for them to practise life skills..). And it fitted nicely into work on information texts. And because leaflets are designed to sell, getting inference out of them and hitting tricky AFs like that is easy - kids are right savvy little consumers - they totally get that someone is trying to hawk some **** to them - even if they do really want it! And what leaflets give you that books don't is the design element. E.g. I remember being able to stretch the brightest ones by asking them what the effect of the writing (blue-coloured and wavy-font) 'spilling' (like water) over the pages was... It was fun! I'm going to do this again now I've remembered! And good luck for your interview. Whatever you do, I hope you get it x

5. I agree that service stations are great for leaflets - we raided one last year for our persuasive leaflets topic in Y4. Even better is the pub up the road which has just installed a leaflet stand. I often go just to research my Literacy ; )

6. Actually finding this self-sacrificing dedication to Every Child a Reader really quite moving right now! [​IMG] xx

7. ecawemma

ecawemma New commenter

I think the leaflet idea is good, but it might also be worth exploring a picture book. There are lots of great quality books which are readable in a short amount of time but suitable for UKS2. Any Shaun Tan book for example. Or FArTHER by Baker-Smith
    Have a look at the Greenaway shortlist for more ideas - if you google greenaway awards you'll find the site which also has some great questions on the Visual Literacy Activity pages.
    Alternatively, have a look at the text suggestions on www.emmarogers.org.uk lots there to choose from.

And a picture book is light enough to carry over to the pub to read!