1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Guided Reading Help

Discussion in 'Primary' started by psychoo, May 13, 2011.

1. Hello,

Please help! I'm looking for some inspiration with guided reading. I've not been given any guidance from SLT at the school and there seems to be an air or bewilderment throughout the school with guided reading.... So I'd like to know if I'm doing it right and more importantly I'm hoping to get some inspiration from others to make the sessions more valuable and interesting for the children.

The guided reading slots are 40 minutes long (although by the time the children are in and settled and at the end return to the carpet it more like 35). These sessions are usually assisted with a TA. So far I've split my class into 4 reading groups (by ability) and the TA and I work with one group per session (although I feel that we should/could get around all the groups).

At the start of the lesson there's a bit of teacher input such as reading a short story and then the 2 independent groups are given a task to complete based on that story. Whilst they are completing the independent task I sit with a group of about 6 students and we read a book together. This usually involves one student reading out loud while the others listen and follow what is being read. Throughout the book I ask questions to check comprehension of the story and then sometimes towards the end of the session they are given a 10-15 minute task to do based on the story....

Any help or advice please would be much appreciated... I don't feel that I'm getting the most out of these sessions at the moment but I have no idea where else to go with these..

Thank you

2. What year group do you teach?

3. I teach a mixed year 5/6 class although I have a lot of EAL in my class and so the level of reading on the whole is lower than expected...

4. I teach Yr 6 and have also taught Year 5 and have created my own Guided reading schemes for both years. We use adult helpers who we train annually and have one guided reading session of just under an hour each week. The children take a term to read one book - the theme is Michael Morpurgo in Year 5 for the 'at expected' and a selection of classics for the 'above expected'. In year 6 we have classics. All the questions were written by me and we have tried to keep the books boyish friendly. The children are expected to read the book at home and we then can spend the entire lesson discussing the questions and working on skimming and scanning. Everything is oral and we work on answering in full, clear sentences. I have examples if you are interested. We regularly get very high results in reading.

5. gruffaloschild

gruffaloschild New commenter

Hi,

Just some ideas for you - hope they help (I am Literacy Leader at my school and this is just what works for me):

I would begin the session by introducing the objective/target the group is working on. If the children are EAL and working on just reading the text then fine, but usuall for Y5/6 the aim should be something else - discuss how characters feel and why, finding information, language features. Ideally the children should read the text BEFORE they actually do guided reading so that you can concentrate on the target rather than just reading as a group (children shouldn't just be reading round the group in Guided reading). I would then ask them questions 'How is x feeling?" "Can you find any evidence?" "How do we know this is poetry/instructions/a play, etc? Can you find some features that show me?" "What words do you think make the text exciting? Can you find some?" and get them to work with a talkpartner to find evidence/explain their views. I would encourage the use of talk partners in G reading and reporting back as it makes them more confident in their answers. I have also used cards with questions for them to discuss or cards with lots of different feelings for characters - which words describe which characters, can you find evidence?

I would end the session by reviewing the text in general - did they like it, what did they think? Can they predict what might happen next? and their targets - have they met their target for today and introducing the follow up.

A lot of the Guided reading schemes have notes to help (Rigby Navigator/Pelican) so there are usually lot of ideas there you can use but I have used lots of different texts with my groups (Essential Non Fiction/Fiction is good just to look at a short extract, as well as chapters of real novels for my AA children). I would also suggest that 40 minutes is far too long for 1 group to do guided - about 20 minutes is usually enough. Short sessions on a regular basis work best for me - don't try to do too much in one session just make the focus really tight and link to APPs.

I'd also have your paper APPs in your guided reading folders and highlight off what children can do when they have done it at least 3 times.

I have my class on a rotation 1 group do a pre-read for the next day, 1 read with me, 1 do follow up task, 1 do handwriting and 1 do spelling/phonics activities. I also have a group working with my TA (so if your TA does a different group each day and so do you each group gets x2 guided readings per week).

Look at Lancashire Grid for Learning as they have some stuff on Guided reading. I'm sorry you haven't been given any guidance on this in your own school but hopefully this is of some use to you.

6. Hi, that sounds great thanks, any examples would be much appreciated! At the moment I feel that the session is wasted.

7. Thank you all for your replies, they are very useful and have given me some much needed inspiration for my guided reading sessions..

These examples would be much appreciated if you could email me them to me at chetwyndca@hotmail.co.uk that would be great! thank you for your help!

8. I've found this really useful, thanks. I have one little question though, when you say that each group does a different tasks each day e.g. Reading with you, follow on task from previous day guided reading, handwriting etc...and that this lasts 20 mins, is this as well as your literacy lesson every day? How do you find time in the timetable to do 20 minutes of guided reading ( and related activities) as well as an English lesson? Our English lessons are only 50 minutes long and in actual fact after settling the kids, getting ready for lunch etc it probably only works out closer to 40 minutes. I would love to be able to do 20 minutes of guided reading every day...do others manage this? Thanks!

9. Sillow

Sillow Lead commenter

I manage by doing it every afternoon straight after lunch, which means afternoon lessons do suffer and I end up having to rotate the foundation subjects on a two-weekly basis to fit things in. But I make sure my Literacy lessons have lots of drama/dance, ICT and topic work to help boost these subjects.

10. guided reading every morning for 20-30 minutes. I have a different group each day and we read and I ask AF questions etc. Others have questions associated with their guided reading books and work independently in silence. The AF focuses change to meet each group's needs

11. Guided reading for 20 minutes first thing, then an hour of literacy, then break. After break we do numeracy for over an hour. We have assembly in the afternoon however which makes this possible.