1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Guided reading for year 5 or 6

Discussion in 'Primary' started by Sparkle888, Sep 3, 2011.

1. Hello!
    I am just about to start my NQT year and I'm really scared. I have year six and our first topic is space. I have managed to spend most of the holidays planning everything but I've just realised i havent done guided reading and I am really struggling with it. The school has no books on space and so I will need to buy some next week. Does any one have a set of guided reading plans for any books on space for years 5 or 6 that I can adapt and then go buy the books? I was thinking 4 groups - 1 group teacher led group 2 independent group 3 quiet reading group 4 ???
    Your help would be much appreciated.

2. Hello!
    I am just about to start my NQT year and I'm really scared. I have year six and our first topic is space. I have managed to spend most of the holidays planning everything but I've just realised i havent done guided reading and I am really struggling with it. The school has no books on space and so I will need to buy some next week. Does any one have a set of guided reading plans for any books on space for years 5 or 6 that I can adapt and then go buy the books? I was thinking 4 groups - 1 group teacher led group 2 independent group 3 quiet reading group 4 ???
    Your help would be much appreciated.

3. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

Why do they need books on space? There is no way you will find enough books on space to keep year 6 sorted for the while term, so no point even trying. Just give them a book suited to their ability and have done with it.

Group 4 could do comprehension activities. Or activities linked to their GR book, Lancashire LA has some great ideas.

Don't be scared, teaching is fabulous and you will love it!

4. I would use online newspaper articles or space related websites to focus on non-fiction, which will buy you some time to find fiction books.

5. Can't help much with your main question but as far as your childen with poorer literacy skills is concerned, go to http://www.schoolwork.bz then use the entry code nor789ty
    The poorest readers (those predicted to achieve Level 3 or lower) prepare exercsies on their own at the computer<u> with no adult intervention</u>, then read from their printouts to a TA every day. In one term, they change to predicted Level 4s and be able to tackle the other exercises on the site.
    Hope this helps.

6. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

DUH! i am SUCH a luddite! Definitely use computers if you have access to them!

7. That's fab thank you. I'm really looking forward to it it's going to be great!

8. Thank you everyone makes me feel better and some great ideas. Thanks again!