1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Guided reading - do you have a good system in your room?

Discussion in 'Primary' started by lnevil1, Nov 6, 2011.

1. lnevil1

lnevil1 New commenter

I am wondering if anyone can offer any guidance in setting up a good guided reading system in my room; I don't feel I've ever got it quite right.

I teach upper juniors and currently teach guided reading in one of my literacy lessons (the class is split into four groups, TA and myself spend 25 mins with a group each while others complete reading comprehension independently then swap.)

From reading other posts, it seems most people do guided reading daily. Do people find this works well? How long do people give for the lessons? And when in the day do you do it? I seem to be constantly struggling in fit in everything I need to do each week...

Thanks.

2. Im in Year 2, but after afternoon play we have an hour session that is phonics followed by 1 group guided reading, 1 group doing comprehension based on the previous days guided reading, and 3 groups independant reading.
    I keep meaning to have some better activities for the independant children to access, but something in me holds me back because deep down I believe this time to explore and enjoy books with no pressure is important. They really enjoy it and whilst I find it hard to enfore 'silent' reading (they love to share) they are all on task enjoying books together. Id be interested to hear what people feel about this - I am concerned that in Ofsteds eyes it will not be enough and that they'd rather see phonic application activities etc.

3. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter