1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Guided Reading - Comparing Myths, Fables etc.

Discussion in 'Primary' started by Juliet6079, Jan 5, 2019.

1. Juliet6079

Juliet6079 New commenter

Hi all

NQT here, in need of some planning help!

I'm trying to plan some guided reading sessions around comparing the features and language of fairytales, myths, legends and fables. (Year 4/5 mixed class)
    I'm really struggling to plan these lessons - I can find plenty of examples of these text types, but I'm finding it really hard to think of activities and structure the sessions.

Has anyone planned similar and might be able to point me in the right direction?
    I'm tearing my hair out!

Thank you!

2. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

Well what I used to do was get groups to look at different examples of a genre, identifying common language and features. Then we'd get together and compare and 'together' work out the features of that particular genre. repeat with other genre eg if done Myths, do Fables or Legends. Then we'd try to isolate the differences between them t define the charactistics of each which any genre 'must have' to qualify.

Particularly suitable for these genres as there is so much overlap.
    I can recommend Aesop's Fables for that genre especially for those who struggle with longer texts.

3. Juliet6079

Juliet6079 New commenter

Thank you - this was a really good starting point for me and then I suddenly had a few different lessons come to me after!

Lara mfl 05 likes this.