1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Guided reading - All for One - Jill Murphy - HELP

Discussion in 'Primary' started by mystery10, Mar 1, 2011.

1. mystery10

mystery10 Occasional commenter

I'm a volunteer and next week I'm going to help with guided reading for the first time. I've been told the book my group will be reading is All for One by Jill Murphy. It's a sequel to a book called The Last Noo-noo and it has a character called Marlin in it. Each page has a large picture and a paragraph of text.
    Sorry about asking on here but there isn't usually much time to talk to the class teacher and if I have some ideas "of my own" it might help.
    It's a year 2 class. What sort of things should I be doing with the group? What sort of ability group would be given this book in year 2 as guided reading?

2. mystery10

Thank again Lara. You mean anything from a 1a upwards and the sky's the limit? Are you basing this on the year group (2) or the book?
    Cheers

3. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

Year 2s can have children still working towards level 1 up to level 2 with an occasional able child operating at level 3. So generally levels 1s & 2s but possibly with a less able child still not working at level 1.
    But each group will probably consist of all able level 1s or lower level 2s etc ie grouped according to ability.

4. But the classteacher is highly unlikely to be asking her LA Year 2s to read that book, they're more likely to be of an average ability.
    Before you read, discuss the cover/title/blurb and what information they can glean from it. It might be a good idea to show them some flashcards of tricky words in the book, or long vowel phonemes they might meet to refresh their minds.
    Then read the first page yourself, with children following. Ask them some comprehension questions at this point, then get them to continue reading silently. Go around and listen to each child read. Give them a whiteboard and pen and ask them to write/draw about what they have read if they finish prematurely. If you dont want them to read the whole book, put a peg on the page you want them to stop at and ask them to stop when they get to the peg and do their drawing/writing.
    Then bring it all together with some more comprehension questions.

5. mystery10

Thank you, those are all really useful tips.
    At a slight tangent, someone said that a year 2 class would have the occasional very able level 3 child ..... are you meaning at this point in the year, or by the end of year 2?