1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Guided Reading- ahhhhh

Discussion in 'Primary' started by spanna20, Jan 11, 2010.

1. How do you teach guided reading? I'm an NQT teaching a yr 5/6 class, i plan to teach guided reading everyday but never seem to achieve this. It always seem to get left off the end after a busy morning/ day. I aim to have a one group sharing a book with myself, one group reading individually with the TA, one group doing a comp task based on what they read with me and the other doing a sentence structure./ spelling task. I do find this a lot to set up,i just wondered how everyone else manages it and plans for it, any tips to help??

Please help
    Thanks in advance

2. Oh, good grief. I'm a student and my mentor is observing me doing guided reading on Friday. I can hardly tell him this, but I have no idea what I'm supposed to be doing and basically just get the kids to read, page by page, and occasionally say "what does that mean?" for tricky words. So I will be coming back to check this thread in the hope that someone makes it clear to me what the FLIP I'm meant to be doing, thereby saving my proverbial!
    Sorry this response is entirely unhelpful to you.

3. tangerinecat

tangerinecat New commenter

1 - with me
    2 - reading for pleasure
    3 - independent work based on book
    4 - laptops (eg Wordshark) or listening centre
    5 - word games eg Scrabble, hangman, acting

We have an hour and 40 minutes before Assembly in the morning - Year 6 do 30 mins Guided Reading first (so it happens), an hour Literacy, 10 mins spellings (which sometimes gets lost).

4. tangerinecat

tangerinecat New commenter

When I work with a group, they read silently to themselves and I go round and listen to them. That way they can read at their own pace.
    We discuss difficult vocabulary as it arises. We are supposed to get them to read in advance to notice any difficult vocabulary, then come back to it when I hear them read individually, but I'm not entirely clear how we are supposed to do this.
    I also have a photocopy of the AFs (one per group) which I highlight when we have covered an aspect - instant APP reading evidence.

5. Hi Shanna,
    I have 7 guided reading groups and it has become more manageable as I have worked out different ways to do it. I make time for guided reading before literacy. Our break ends at 11.45 and we have lunch at 12.15, so from 11.45-11.15 I make sure guided reading happens. Some other teachers do it after literacy, but I was finding that literacy kept running into guided reading time. It has been much better for me slotting it in before literacy as I don't feel rushed and the kids aren't sitting there itching to get out to lunch.
    I do it in the following ways:
    • On Mondays and Tuesdays I have one group and my TA has another group. The groups that see the TA on odd weeks see me on even weeks and vice versa. That way, I make sure I hear all children in my class regularly. I am lucky, however, that my TA has had APP training so she is confident with what she is doing.
    • On Wed, Thurs and Fri I see individual groups. While I take a guided reading group, I have timetabled tasks that other groups have to do. These are individual reading, guided reading activity and reading comp. To save time, I have lists of guided reading activities the children can choose from. These are differentiated and are kept in the group guided reading trays so the children always know where to find them. By having a variety of activities all on one sheet, it saves me having to find different activities every week. Last term, I had enough activities on each sheet to last a whole term.
    For reading comp, I get my TA to photocopy a few reading comps in advance and these get filed in folders entitled "Reading Comprehension" which are kept in the group guided reading trays. Again, the children know now that the Reading Comps are kept in the folders in their group guided reading tray.
    I have all activities recorded on a timetable - e.g. on Monday, Blue Group have guided reading, on Tuesdays they have guided reading activity, reading comp on Wednesday etc.
    I also use guided reading time for children on IEPs to do work with the TA and LSA. It took a while to work out but I got there eventually!
    Hope that helps :)

6. lillipad

lillipad New commenter

I got five trays, labelled them with numbes 1-5 for ability groups. In each tray I put a different set of reading books, a comprehension task (Or two depending how easy) and a time table and an exercise book.
    My TA changes the books and I quickly sort out comprehension in the morning.
    At GR time, the kids go and get their box, look at the time table and do what ever is on there.
    1. Guided read with me.
    2. Group read (a page at a time each)
    3. Comprehension.
    4 Comprehension.
    5. Individual read
    It took a bit of organising so that the highest ability had the weekend between their book and their comprehension and so that no tasks clashed but it works nicely. I don't have to tell them what they're doing anymore.

7. Thank you so much for the guidance, I will have to become more organised and make time for it. Hopefully it will be this term :)

8. Sillow

Sillow Senior commenter

What I do is similar to you, Frances.
    I do guided reading straight after breaktime, so 10:45am, for half-an-hour. The children know that when they come in from break they do whatever their group is scheduled to do that day. Then I can stop at 11:15am and know they'll still get their Literacy or Numeracy lesson.
    1 group with me.
    1 group doing handwriting.
    1 group silent reading or, if they've just finished a book, writing a book review (I have some lovely sheets, think I got them from here, that don't require vast tracts of writing).
    1 group reading the next chapter of the book they are reading with me, in preparation for their guided reading session the next day. When they've finished that one chapter, they can silent read a different book.
    1 group who are heard reading every day with a TA, individually, and silent reading or handwriting when they're not reading with her.
    For the guided reading, each group has a book they are currently going through. I have the Assessment Foci and questions in front of me, and jot down notes next to the children's name when I feel they have successfully answered a question. You can google for questions to ask for each AF. I'm not very good yet at thinking of suitable questions for each AF myself, so find it much easier to have the questions in front of me.
    My class is Year 4, so I'm not sure how guided reading works with KS1.

9. I teach year 2 but I am also the literacy subject leader. I have 6 guided reading groups and we do guided reading after lunch 3 times a week. . Each group reads with myself or the TA once a week and this is alternated so that I listen to each group once a fortnight. I choose the books for each group, choose the Assessment Focus and write questions related to this. As a Key Stage 1 team, we have built up a bank of questions and activities for most of the guided reading books that we use. We record the children's direct repsonses to the questions as this is provides strong evidence for APP reading assessment of the children. The other groups complete AF related tasks, often answering written comprehension questions, in their reading journals and this work is also used as evidence for APP assessment too.
    As this format for guided reading is used in other classes too, the children are used to what happens and are able to get on with their tasks without needing much support from me or the TA. Depending on the level of the children, I ask the children to read independently rather than waiting for their turn to read as they often read at different paces. I then listen to and question individuals.

Hope this helps!

10. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

I have year 5 and all are reasonably good readers in terms of decoding. I don't listen to them read other than the first session with a new book.
    5 ability groups and 5 25 minute sessions, the children rotate round the activities.
    1 group with me answering questions on what they have read from their guided reading book since the last session. Depending on ability it can be between about 1 and 4 chapters.
    1 group with TA, reading their own choice of book. TA goes round and listens to them read a little bit each.
    1 group doing reading journal activities. My school gave us loads of activties and I put them into a checklist for the children. They tick off the activity when they do it and the idea is they will do all activities by the end of the term.
    1 group in the reading corner, enjoying the books there.
    1 group with the Free Writing Box. This is a bit like a writing table in KS1 and has all sorts of papers and pens. They write anything they wish but it must be good and neat. Over the term each group will end up with a pack of writing that will be made into a group book.

11. My 6 groups do it for 20-25 mins each day
    Monday- Guided reading/reading journal tasks
    Tuesday- as above
    Wednesday- Group choice- either guided reading or reading journal tasks
    Thursday- Free reading
    Friday- handwriting/drama based on what they've read (alternate weeks).
    As other posters, I have an APP sheet per group per term, highlighting and making notes as I go. I have one group who do independent reading every day, as they were struggling with group reading.
    The issue I have is that, for whatever the reason, many of the books in our class are just above their understanding, and they find them 'boring' because they're not quite hitting the level of understanding to maintain their interest. They can't always have a member of staff there to read it with them, and I daren't split the top group up to act as leaders of the groups as they're the only group who can access all the mid-high range texts. There's no money for more books, and this isn't helped by the fact the literacy co-ordinator spent all last year's budget on books that none of them (except one) are able to access! There's only three classes in the school so we can't borrow from another class- nightmare!

12. I'm thinking about reorganising my guided reading time with my yr 2/3 class at the minute if the groups aren't reading with me then they are on the computer, doing a phonics activity, playing a word game etc but I find the noise level rises as the chdn are all actively on task. I'd prefer to have them all doing a reading task but finding it hard to think of ideas that won't take ages to set up and that the chdn will quickly become used to. Anyone got any tries and tested methods at this level which actually work? Also should say I would like to spend about 20 mins on guided reading time 4 days a week.

13. Hurrah...I adopted a similar system to one that many of you are describing as a way of getting through being able to listen to my readers.

4 days a week we rotate, with the kids working in groups according to their reading age.
    1- Reading to themselves/ reading to me...sometimes this groups reads a group text and discusses it with me.
    2- Spelling puzzles based on their week's words
    3- Handwriting - trace-then-write sheets in the school handwriting style (God bless handwriting for windows!) again based on their words for the week
    4- An activity to reinforce basic skills e.g. comprehension/grammar/prrof reading/punctuation usually based around the genre we are studying.
    I never got my head around the guided reading model that the lang coordinator brought back to the school...e.g. all groups reading different texts depending on their level and working on tasks based on them.

14. What about with Kindergarten or Foundation as you call it? Can anyone advise me how to accomplish GR on my own. I will have a parent helper available some days but no other support.

15. <font size="2">I am about ready
    to pull my hair out with guided reading! </font>

<font size="2">I am an NQT and
    have 4 yr groups (26 chd and levels P5-5c) to cater for in GR. Due to the
    morning set up GR has to be done in the afternoons, so Yr's3,4,5 &6 have to
    complete together. They do not work well together at things like this, last
    week it took 10 mins just to sit at correct tables and have correct activity
    (even though it is in their group basket!).</font>

<font size="2">I have thought
    hard about how to organise and gone down the same route as many posters but is
    tricky as I have NQT and PPA on two afternoons. My TA's do not feel confident
    in GR and we are addressing this in the comings weeks. However, we are due the
    big O any day and don&rsquo;t want them to come in and see GR not being done.</font>

<font size="2">I know there is
    no 'magic' answer but does anyone have any advice of how to combat this.</font>

16. I used to be in a whole KS2 class, and did my NQT year in one, too. I had a very wide ability spread.
    I organised the children into 5 groups, and discounted my TA from GR because she wasn't able to do what I wanted her to do. Long story.
    Anyway, I made sure that my expecations were VERY clear, and all children soon understood what I wanted from them. They worked quietly while I worked with a group, and they sorted out their own GR trays, etc.
    I had a tray per group with the texts in, follow-up tasks for a few weeks, comprehension activities and their GR recording books. Without any laptops or PCs in the classroom, my carousel was:
    GR with me,
    Follow-up task linked to what we had just read,
    Topic books,
    Handwriting,
    Quiet reading of independent reading books/book corner.
    After a couple of weeks, and me acting like a dragon, it worked like clockwork!

17. <font size="2">Thank you; I do
    not envy you completing your NQT in a whole KS2 class! I only have them in the
    PM and up until Xmas so I am on countdown hehe.</font>

<font size="2">I have discussed
    this with other experienced staff members and they have suggested a whole class
    discussion about a piece of text with focus questions and focus children and
    then differentiated activities for each group. I am going to try this and see
    how it goes and then once children trained into this try the carousel idea. I
    just feel so useless at the moment as I hate having to be a dragon as my young
    Y3 look terrified but my Y5/6 boys just sit like sulky teenagers! I will
    persist and see if things improve.</font>

<font size="2">Thank you again
    elizabeth1972 </font>

18. Dear all, I am a trainee teachers and I am looking at completing a small scale research project on guided reading. A lot of the material I have been reading seems to focus on the negative effects of guided reading or how it is done badly in school. My aim is to try and focus on how guided reading can be used a POSITIVE strategy to the teaching of reading and I was wondering if any of you lovely teachers out there would mind answering a few questions to support my research?
    - What do you consider to be the most imporant aspect of guided reading?
    - Which abilities benefit more from guided reading and why?
    - How often do you think guided reading should be taught?
    - What does a sucessfull guided reading session have to include?
    - How much does your school follow the structure set out in the Primary Literacy Strategy?
    I would be very grateful for your feedback and knowledge. Thank you :) xx