1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Guided group work with a needy class.

Discussion in 'Primary' started by 0612692, Jun 4, 2011.

1. I'm an NQT and have tried implementing guided group work in Literacy and Numeracy. Both my classes for Literacy and Numeracy are very needy and I find it hard to make sure the rest of the class are on task as well as supporting the group I want to work with. In Literacy I have a TA but she isn't the most assertive with the children and in Numeracy I have no support.
    What do people do to ensure the rest of the class are on task when trying to support guided groups.

2. What age group are you in? If Y2 upwards, I would say you need to make sure the work they are working on independantly is definately achievable. Start with slightly easier work to build up their confidence with working independantly, then make it more challenging. If you KNOW they can do it and know your childrens ability levels well, you can then start to become stricter - if you are working with a group, you are not to be disturbed unless they've tried everything else to help themselves, or its an emergency. Tell them this.
    I teach Y1 so our independant activities are choice-based..meaning they are learning activities with relevant objectives, but not necessarily all relating to my current lesson, and they're all things they can have a go at on their own - but they dont all sit at tables, they choose what order to do the activities. If a child comes up and disturbs me when working with a group, I put a stop hand out and say "I am working with my group, do you really need to disturb me?" Sometimes they carry on talking and once I establish its something they could've solved themselves, I tell them this and ask them to sort it out themselves next time.
    Its about appropriate work level, the way your class is managed, and an expectation of them not disturbing you for daft things.

3. Set high expectations and make them very clear at all times. For example I will say...'I am working with yellow group' in 10 minutes I want to see that everybody else has achieved xyz. If you are stuck, try 1,2,3 before me. Only disturb me if it is very urgent.'
    The children know that if they mess around and don't achieve anything then they will be doing it at playtime or golden time. Children who come over to pester me about trivial things just get ignored until they realise I will only respond to important or urgent questions.