1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Guided and individual reading in y1?

Discussion in 'Primary' started by erialcrobo, Aug 31, 2011.

1. erialcrobo

erialcrobo New commenter

Hi guys, I am soooo confused! Last year the HT insisted that children were heard reading individuallyonce a week and also heard as part of a seperate guided reading group. I have a class of 30 and this did not work at all as I struggled to fit it all in! Can you please tell me what reading you do with chn in your Y1 class? Also, can you please me when you fit in doing word box changes (HFW'S)?
    Many thanks for your help

2. Hi, I understand your issues. When I was with the year one last year, I had to listen to each child read in the Literacy lesson everyday apart from a Thursday, when the literacy was a focused session. It was a real struggle as the children were asking me how to spell words etc. A real nightmare. If that is what the Ht wants, then something else has to give. Good luck! Nellie.

3. comenius

comenius New commenter

Each group gets a guided read session once a week. My TA's try and listen to those children who never read at home (usually 5 or 6, they grab 5 mins with them when they can) and I have a couple of adults who come in several times a week and listen to the others read (they are doing TA training).
    I'm not sure what word box changes are?!? High frequency words are covered during phonics - incorporated into the sentences they read and write.

4. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

I'm only just joining KS1 and here is what we do, or will do.

TAs hear most of the class read on most days. I will hear some on some days as and when I can.

Guided reading each group has one session a week, also with the TA while I teach handwriting to everyone else. So 3x15min handwriting and one 15 min GR session a week.

5. I do the same except that my TA and I do guided reading right after lunch with the rest of the class working on other reading related activities (quiet reading, story tapes, reading journals etc), we swap about as to who takes which group so that I get to take everyone at some point.

6. erialcrobo

erialcrobo New commenter

Thanks everyone for your replies. Minniemix , do you find that your TA is hearing the children reading more than you are? I had this issue last year. Yirg, I too used to hear chn guided read last year after lunch but found it too difficult to control the rest of the class and keep them occupied! argghhhhhh! I just don' know how I can fit it all in!!!

7. Does it matter that the TA hears children read more than you do? Re the rest of the class in guided reading - you have to be very firm and very clear with your expectations for the session. My class could manage a good 20 mins or so when they understood what my expectations were and that there would be a consequence if I was disturbed.