1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

guidance/outcomes for y2 extended stories?

Discussion in 'Primary' started by rainbowdrop86, Feb 11, 2012.

1. rainbowdrop86

rainbowdrop86 New commenter

2. I have to say it is one which I tend to attempt at the end of the year where the story is extended through including including a good character description and speech and where they can use their extended sentences. I find it hard to do earlier as many are still focussing on the basics at this point, whereas more of them are ready a little later. I don't worry to much about the units, so will fit it to what I think they need to focus on. This time I was thinking of them writing their own chapter of a story where they are read the beginning etc as a different way of them looking at extended stories, or to write a first chapter to a story. I find the Twits a great book to help them see the different elements of an extended story as it has great character descriptions and speech. I haven't tackled paragraphs with my lot next, so would want a good focus on this first.
    When you do it I would do it over a bit of time with a good focus on settings and character descriptions first so they can take a good amount of time to plan this part first. I have to admit it is also something I find tricky to get them to do well in Year 2!

3. rainbowdrop86

My topic is Roald Dahl which is why I've chosen to do it now, as his books are too long to do different stories by the same author. I'm concentrating in George's marvellous medicine. So we can concentrate on character and setting description as part of that. I think I'll get them to write theirs in sections as we go along, eg writing the opening one week, describing the character and setting another etc, the problem another, and them finally allowing them to write the main event and conclusion using the structure of paragraphs. Does that sound ok

4. I think it is the only way for most of them to actually write an extended story, as doing in one goes seems to equate to some very short stories! You could do some nice drama around the characters and settings which should help them to come up with some vivid descriptions!

5. rainbowdrop86

Yeah that's the plan. In the style of George's marvellous medicine but with dif characters, but same problem and actions. Each time medicine is given we'll do lots of role play to get vivid descriptions to help them write that chapter.