1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Guidance on skills planning Wales

Discussion in 'Primary' started by missstar1986, Nov 30, 2011.

1. missstar1986

missstar1986 New commenter

I started a post in September on
    supply basis whilst they were looking for a part time member of staff, to cut
    the story short, I was given little planning so that I wasn’t at an advantage when it came
    to applying for the position of part time teacher, anyway I got the job. I am
    now a few months into the post, I have not been given any schemes of work, when
    I ask I’m told yes there are some but I am never given them. I job share with
    the head teacher in FP.

Our school action plan states
    that skills planning is in place, yet when I ask for the plans I am never given
    a straight answer and not given any planning- to say the least this term has
    been a struggle and I have doubted my ability many times. I am utterly confused
    to how the school does the planning; it seems very different to how I was
    taught using the skills framework document at university 2 years ago. As far as
    I gather from the one science skills document I have been given, my LEA works
    on subject skills ladder and I am told I should use this as my learning
    intention, but what confuses me is where the NC skills framework for 3-19 year
    olds fits into this? I was taught to focus on one skill at a time, but now I am
    told otherwise! I am one utterly confused person right now! If anyone could
    help me I would be extremely grateful.

I am trying to get any plans that
    the head has for next term so that I can update, amend or whatever but it’s
    like drawing blood from a stone, either there are no plans, yet he tells me
    otherwise, or he stores plans in his head. Please can anyone offer advice for
    good practice, I don’t feel like I am getting the best start to my teaching
    career!