1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Guarenteed pay scheme

Discussion in 'Supply teaching' started by useless, Mar 29, 2012.

1. useless

useless New commenter

I have been asked by an Agency to go on a Guaranteed Pay scheme so they pay me even if there's no work. I said I'd think about it. Has anyone any experience of this? I am a PE teacher - do I have to take any work they offer even outside by subject area?
    Any comments please.

2. les25paul

les25paul Star commenter

In the current climate that sounds like a winner and I'm surprised that any agency is still offering it.
    I expect that there will be conditions such as: you don't work for any other agency, you cannot turn work down and will go to any school or teach any subject they request you to.
    But if you can live with this whats to lose?

3. Moony

Moony Lead commenter

I'd have to say that if you are tough enough to handle any behaviour that being a supply teacher gets you subjected to and arn't too fussed about which subjects you cover it might not be a bad option. Ask for more info on it. What happens if you are sick, how far would they expect you to travel (do you have your own car?), when would they tell you about work?

4. Mrs-Pip

Mrs-Pip New commenter

I was on one of those schemes years ago... I had to travel ridiculous miles and wasn't able to turn anything down either. This went on for nearly a year then ONE week they didn't find me a days work and paid me 60% or something (I can't remember the exact amount but it wasn't a full days rate). The week after I got a call to tell me that I was being taken off the scheme as work was drying up!!! Also... the scheme didn't include the week before and the week after a school holiday.
    It worked for me at the time so wasn't too bothered but I was treated unfairly. It is rare that agencies do this now so get more info but in my expereince you will be exclusive to this agency and at their beck and call. You will probably booked into places without being consulted beforehand too... check the small print! Good luck and I hope it works for you.

5. I am astonished that agencies would still be offering these, given the current dearth of supply work. I would have thought that if an agency has to resort to these now, they must have some really terrible schools, to which nobody else will go.

6. One of my agencies offered me guaranteed pay on a weekly basis over the last four weeks ( excluding last Friday). They began by telling me they were offering it to all their "best" teachers, but later in the conversation dropped aout the real reason i.e. they know I work for other agencies and "we don't want you working for anyone else". Yes I worked every day.

7. alfandkels

alfandkels New commenter

I've been on one of these since the beginning of January and I've worked everyday. No horrible schools just the same ones I was working at previously. My contract is termly so it's being renewed for next term. Plenty of work in the hull area.

8. Is this primary or secondary?

9. alfandkels

alfandkels New commenter

For me it's secondary not sure about the OP!

10. It's good to hear that this is still going. And v.refreshing to hear that some supply teachers (sec.) are getting lots of work & dosh!
    Work=money!
    I suppose if agencies did a guarenteed cover superviors pay sceme we would all be working 100% of the time! Wonder if they would pull that one if nowt else was available.
    The big print giveth and the small print taketh away..

11. I work in primary and SEN. I am based in South Yorkshire.

12. useless

useless New commenter

Thanks for all your replies. I'm secondary PE in the North East.

13. jubilee

jubilee Star commenter

If you're Secondary, they will not confine you to bookings that require a PE teacher. You could be sent to cover any subject, including MFL.
    You will be tied into the agency for a set period and may thus miss out on higher paid work from the LA. Are you registered witht he LA supply service?
    I met someone at an absolutely horrifc school who had been there 2 years on the guaranteed scheme. I managed to last the day and was thanked profusely by the HOD (English) for not doing a runner at morning break or lunchtime. "Go home, open a bottle of wine and forget that you were ever here!" he said. I rang the agency and told them to never ask me to go there again, even if it was the only work to ever be on offer. The consultant said they'd find it easier to get supply teachers for Iraq!
    I'm an MFL teacher and I love the odd days when I get sent to cover PE (mostly taking practicals) but PE teachers in permament posts seem to have fewer days off with stress than others. Lesson times being reduced by the time allocated for getting into kit and back into school uniform, plus walking to the fields and back and organising the carrying of balls and rounders posts etc, makes managing lessons a doddle in comparison with a full hour in a subject where the pupils are required (shock horror!) to read and write.
    Are you claiming the Uniform tax allowance from the Inland revenue? It will increase your tax code and thus reduce the tax you pay in this financial year and following ones and will give you a rebate for past years.
    tax years up to and inclusing 2007/08 had a £45 annual offset against tax and those years from 2008/09 onwards a £60 tax relief figure per year.
    The allowance is available if you provide your own kit/uniform and have to repair, launder and replace it yourself AND your employer does not provide you with laundry facilities.
    I claim it and only teach PE a few times per year but keep a kit in the car for those instances.
    I made a claim at the end of 2011 when I heard about the allowance and claimed for the past 6 tax years. I've had over £60 back (you get 20% of the allowance back if a basic rate taxpayer) and have had my current taxcode increased.

14. useless

useless New commenter

I've decided not to go on the guarenteed work scheme. Thanks Jubilee for your tips - I claim for everything but have not thought of laundry aspect.