1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Guardian article about teaching in China

Discussion in 'Teaching abroad' started by amysdad, Oct 7, 2019.

1. amysdad

amysdad Established commenter

I was reading a Guardian article last week which was linked to from my Facebook page, where it was talking about changes which were happening for international schools which had the Chinese license - particularly about forcing them to stop being selective and move instead to a lottery system of application, because the Chinese were concerned about the top students being creamed off abroad.

However - I've lost the link! Did anyone here happen to read it and, if so, can you post the link?!

2. february31st

february31st Established commenter

3. february31st

The current topic of discussion in Chinese papers is the cost of private bilingual education. The best estimates the papers are saying is primary private schools should cost no more than 40000rmb and secondary no more than 70000rmb. When you consider the uk franchise schools are charging 250000 to 350000 this could be a dramatic income reduction for the private sector.

4. yasf

yasf Occasional commenter

That's a lot considering the mediocre salaries some of them pay.

5. february31st

No matter how British the name the school is owned by a Chinese businessman or worse businesswoman. It cheaper to send your kids to the real school in the UK compared to China.

6. yasf

yasf Occasional commenter

No wonder the Chinese govt. has started to ask questions . . .

7. amysdad

amysdad Established commenter

Thanks Feb31 - I do usually follow the stereotype of the Guardian reader so finding something in the Telegraph must have been a minor aberration....