1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Guarantees

Discussion in 'Private tutors' started by Mathsteach2, May 16, 2012.

1. Mathsteach2

Mathsteach2 Established commenter

As private tutors, are we able to provide guarantees? This company advertises on the TV, and they guarantee a single Grade level improvement after a commitment (by contract, I guess) of 3 hours per week for twelve weeks.

Their website is:

http://tutoring.sylvanlearning.com/

Last year here in Barbados I considered the possibility of requiring a contract, 100.00B$ up-front to reduce problems of attendance and non-payment. My contract was for ten lessons at 10.00B$ a lesson, half hour each duration. I offered continuity and progression, but not any guarantee concerning improvements.

Are there any tutors who offer such a guarantee as Sylvan, and does it work?

2. Georginalouise

Georginalouise New commenter

As a tutor I find the very idea of offering a guarantee incredulous.

As a scientist, i have an interest in the evidence and the detail, and so I took a look at the website. It's fairly well known (and I am sure a KS1 or 2 tutor would come up with the data) that over the long summer break children regress if left entirely to their own devices, and often return to school in September of a lower standard than when they left mid July. My take on the offer from this site is that if you take 'summer school tuition' you will return to school ahead of where you would have been had you done nothing over the summer, so they are not saying they will put the grades up, but that they will not let the grades drop, and so there is a 'grade improvement" in comparison as there is no regression. To coin a phrase, "the devil is in the detail" and I would welcome someone else commenting on this.

3. That is 36 lessons.

Surely students should go up by 1 grade after 36 lessons of one-to-one teaching.

What is meant by a guarantee, anyway? If you don't go up by one grade after 36 lessons, we will give you a free lesson. That is a guarantee.