1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

guaranteed pay contract protocol

Discussion in 'Supply teaching' started by cc2lwa, Oct 29, 2015.

1. cc2lwa

cc2lwa New commenter

Hi, can anyone tell me, if you are on a guarenteed contract on supply, and let's say another agency found you work in your own subject for more money to start after the new year, is it ok to pull out of the gwc obviously with plenty notice, I am just wondering what's acceptable.

2. nearmiss

nearmiss Lead commenter

As a supply teacher, you are not exclusively tied to any agency. GWCs have their limitations anyway. You need to read the small print as you might find that the pay between assignments clause does not include PD days, holidays, or periods longer than 4 consecutive days without placement. If you get a better deal elsewhere, take it. You can pull out quite legally within one pay period. Obviously, it's only fair, if you are working exclusively at one school to give some notice but not too much in case the agency decides to replace you immediately if you look like you're about to jump. If you're doing day to day, at lots of schools, you only need to give a week's notice. The agencies have plenty of people on their books so they can find a replacement in that time.
    As a word of caution, I would get the new agency to verify the January booking. These are not contracted jobs so there is no guarantee that the promised work will actually materialise. Keep your options open.
    Please read the advice pinned at the top of the forum. As a free agent, it is up to you to read your own contract and inform yourself of what you have agreed to. You have to negotiate your own deal. There is huge flexibility, once you know what sorts of contracts there are and what sort of payment models there are.

3. Jolly_Roger1

Jolly_Roger1 Star commenter

As nearmiss said, supply jobs starting months ahead have a habit if disappearing, so why inform the agency with which you have got this GWC until nearer January, when you will be certain about what is happening.

4. peakster

peakster Star commenter

I had a potential long term post disappear the day before I was due to start. As it turned out it was a blessing in disguise because something better came along almost immediately and that school has has huge issues with staff leaving for a long time now.

5. Jolly_Roger1

Jolly_Roger1 Star commenter

The same happened to me the Friday before I was due to start, on the following Monday. Nothing else came along, though. I have had long-term full-time jobs gradually whittle away to four, then three days, and then down to nothing.

6. cc2lwa

cc2lwa New commenter

Thanks Nearmiss, Jolly_Rodger 1 and Peakster, I need to remember your advice, it turns out when I thought hard about it, its a job for a school that the details have been bandied about by various agencies for the last six months, so its probably a none starter. When I thought on I laughed out loud, its a very long maternity leave ha.