1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

GTTR References

Discussion in 'Thinking of teaching' started by North12, May 23, 2012.

1. North12

North12 New commenter

Morning all
    It is the final push of my teacher training application through the GTTR website and am deliberating over which references to choose. I can choose from the following:
    my manager of my employer for the past three years - it is not a school environment, although he is supportive of my decision to go into teacher
    former director of said employer (possible character reference)
    teacher's at my school I have done my classroom observation (one of which has kindly offered already)

A family member's colleague with an interest in teaching and my chosen subject (Art)

Any feedback greatly appreciated.

2. North12

North12 New commenter

Morning all
    It is the final push of my teacher training application through the GTTR website and am deliberating over which references to choose. I can choose from the following:
    my manager of my employer for the past three years - it is not a school environment, although he is supportive of my decision to go into teacher
    former director of said employer (possible character reference)
    teacher's at my school I have done my classroom observation (one of which has kindly offered already)

A family member's colleague with an interest in teaching and my chosen subject (Art)

Any feedback greatly appreciated.

3. EcoLady

EcoLady New commenter

Your Manager and the Head of the school that you've been in.

4. Hi
    Your choice of referee is really one only you can make. The principal referee should ideally be either a former tutor, or someone that is in a position to write about your suitability to teach, and the skills you have that would assist you in this.
    The second referee is not always required to provide a reference. However, were they to be contacted they would be asked to provide a character reference. For this reason you should choose someone that knows you well.
    You can find more information about selecting a referee at the following page of the GTTR website:
    www.gttr.ac.uk/referees/aboutreferees
    I hope this helps and I wish you the very best with your application.
    Lin Hinnigan, Teaching Agency

5. Hi
    I see no reason why a former colleague that has known you for four years would not be a suitable character reference for you.
    The GTTR define the ‘second referee' requirements as them being a responsible person that is able to comment on your suitability to teach. There is no minimum amount of time stipulated. If you feel that your former colleague meets these requirements you should include them as your second referee.
    You can find more information about the GTTR referee recommendations here:
    www.gttr.ac.uk/students/howtoapply/yourreferences
    I hope this helps and I wish you well with your application.
    Lin Hinnigan, Teaching Agency