1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

GTP

Discussion in 'Thinking of teaching' started by Ktsum, Feb 17, 2011.

1. Hi, How do i get on a GTP, do I just write to local schools? Is it too late?

2. Hi, How do i get on a GTP, do I just write to local schools? Is it too late?

3. If you find out let me know!

I wrote to more than 100 schools beginning in April 2010 to either do GTP beginning 2010 or 2011.
    In return I got
    • 3 letters back to say "no".
    • 1 letter saying the school doesn't do GTP (even though they were listed in the TDA website)
    • 1 phone call saying "no" and asking why I'd contacted them and where I got their information (paranoid much?)
    • 1 phonecall in November (7 months later!!) telling me that my application was excellent - my CV strong and my letter great - but that the school had so many enquiries they favour past pupils and already had people lined up for the next 3 years!!
    The other 100+ didn't respond at all.
    None of them responded to my follow-up emails.
    None of them responded to my follow-up phonecalls.

If the ConDems what more teachers to train through the employment based route they need some system in place which actually allows people to find oppotunities!

4. josiejosie

josiejosie New commenter

Sounds like to get a place for GTP at a school you need to have an existing relationship with them - perhaps employed as a TA or Cover or with an existing commitment to them.
    What I can't get my head around is that the number of PGCE places has been massively cut (espec in arts subjects) this year and govt has said they want to encourage employment-based routes... yet this has come too late for GTP and won't come into effect until next year (if at all).