1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

GTP worry

Discussion in 'Trainee and student teachers' started by emma_wright27, Apr 21, 2012.

1. Hi I am new to the forums on the TES, however, I was hoping for some advice to put my mind at ease about my GTP next year.
    I am in my final year at university and went on a placement in Novemeber. The school offered me a self funded GTP for september and I completed and sent my application through to them in February.
    I still havent heard anything back so I spoke to the person who organises GTP's within the school. He told me that I cannot be accepted on the course until I have graduated and recieved my degree. However, most of my friends have had interviews and recieved places (providing they recieve their degree) and already know if they have been successful.
    So now im starting to panic and wonder whether this is normal for someone in my situation or whether I should know whether or not I am able to do my GTP in september?
    Any advice would be greatly appriciated.
    Emma

2. Hi I am new to the forums on the TES, however, I was hoping for some advice to put my mind at ease about my GTP next year.
    I am in my final year at university and went on a placement in Novemeber. The school offered me a self funded GTP for september and I completed and sent my application through to them in February.
    I still havent heard anything back so I spoke to the person who organises GTP's within the school. He told me that I cannot be accepted on the course until I have graduated and recieved my degree. However, most of my friends have had interviews and recieved places (providing they recieve their degree) and already know if they have been successful.
    So now im starting to panic and wonder whether this is normal for someone in my situation or whether I should know whether or not I am able to do my GTP in september?
    Any advice would be greatly appriciated.
    Emma

3. Hi
    I think this is dependent on your provider. But I am sure someone will correct me if I am wrong :)
    I completed my degree in August 2010 and didn't actually receive my award until the November. I was not able to apply until the following January for acceptance in that September. This has also happened to a number of my colleagues.
    Some providers are just not willing to take a Universitys say on whether you will pass or not they want the paper in their hand first! And I suppose as there are so many people applying you can see why they are cautious - they don't want to say yes and then have to re advertise if you don't get the grades that they need!
    Good luck and I hope it all works out for you

4. As said above it depends on your provider. I was lucky and was accepted even though I didn't get my degree results until August, but I know some people who have applied to my provider this year and have been told they cannot apply until they have their GCSE science results - so it may b different for the degree/GCSE expectations between different providers.
    I think as I was a mature student studying through OU and was only waiting to complete module they did go on my previous results and were happy that I would pass. I have received Pass 1 and Pass 2 for all my courses so far (including the 3rd year ones I had already take so it was unlikely I would slip back to pass 4 - they also had some evidence of the continous assessment I had done throughout the course too - again all pass 1).
    Whether this would be the same for a full time student - I don't know, so it may also be every case on its own merits at some providers too.