1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

GTP with a childhood and youth degree

Discussion in 'Trainee and student teachers' started by wkhan, Aug 29, 2011.

1. Hi all,
    am currently in the middle of Open Uni degree of "Childhood and Youth", as am studying via distant learning I was working in a primary school and last year appointed as a unqualified teacher (independent school), went through ofsted who inspected 3 of my lessons and said lessons were conducted well and learning outcomes were positive.

I wanted to know would my choice of degree and work experience put me in a favourable position with GTP and RTP providers. Also if headteachers could comment, how would they feel about employing an OU graduate with a degree in that discipline. I am 100% A-B grade GCSE student but messed up with my a levels.

Thank you,

p.s I start my 2nd year as teacher at the school,

2. 2004ajd

2004ajd New commenter

Your degree, should you be able to find a GTP should put you in a favourable position for primary. A word of advice though, try to incorporate education modules into your degree as the GTP provider will most certainly want a module breakdown.

Competition for GTP as you know is fierce but with the education modules and your experience in the classroom you stand a good chance! BTW do you have excellent references from your previous school as this will probably be a deciding factor.

Good Luck!

3. I have excellent references, and iI also supervise an after club at another venue.
    I'm still working at the present as a Year 4 unqualified teacher but I get a lot of assistant and guide from the headteacher who is fantastic.
    I have chosen to include educational modules such as
    1. Early years practice and education
    2.Importance of equality and participation in learning
    3. Children literature.

Thank you for your reply.

4. welshwizard

welshwizard Established commenter Forum guide

With the GTP it is often the work experience that is tips the balance in favour of one candidate over another regardless of degree- it has to be a 2.2 or higher for entry into ITT in future. The other factor is the availability of places local to you. The number of ITT places for next year has yet to be confirmed but there is likely to be more emphasis on secondary than primary places do check with the EBITT particulary about the timescale and application deadlines in your area.