1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

GTP - What's Involved?

Discussion in 'Trainee and student teachers' started by corneliuslightfoot, Nov 21, 2011.

1. Hi, this may sound daft but i'm currently applying for the 2012 GTP intake and obviously want to make the best impression on the headteachers i'll be begging for sponsorship. A major benefit would be the process that is involved. Am i expected to teach continuously and be mentored within the school. Does it involve University days as part of the PGCE? If there is anybody out there that could shed some light on a blatantly confused kid that would be absolutely fantastic! Cheers

2. welshwizard

welshwizard Established commenter Forum guide

Check out the TDA website for standard GTP information and in addition some universities also have further details about their programmes on their websites. The structure does vary and some providers have a programme based on whole day or days- rest of time in school. it is in essence a joint training programme planned betweeen the university and school to cover the same ground as PGCE's to meet the QTS standards. In some places there are PGCE and Masters Units offered as part of the programme

3. Many of the universities run the course differently, so I would talk to the universities direct. My GTP trainees have around 1 day in university each week and this can occasionally be more or less, depending on lectures. This time tends to reduce as the year goes on. They have a mentor in school and a university tutor who they can contact via phone/email and who comes to do joint observations once a term in school with the school based mentor. You build up your teaching, so start with a small amount of the timetable such as 30% and build this up until you are up to the full time table - 80% - in the summer term. They also have a second placement in another school which is of a contrasting locality.
    The GTP is aimed at people with a solid amount of school experience, although many site the salary as a reason - I would strongly recommend not making this the only reason!! It is very demanding, much more so than the PGCE at times. However, if you are able to make the transition to a teacher, it's a fantastic course :)