1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

GTP vs PGCE

Discussion in 'Teaching overseas' started by kez84, Jan 23, 2011.

1. Hi all,
    I trained via the GRTP and have been teaching for 4 years since then.
    I am looking to apply for jobs abroad but the majority are saying they want a degree and PGCE.
    Given the end result of QTS is the same, does is really matter??
    Just looking for a bit of advice, as don't want to waste time applying for jobs that state PGCE, since I haven't got one (!!) if it is that important
    Thanks

2. Hi all,
    I trained via the GRTP and have been teaching for 4 years since then.
    I am looking to apply for jobs abroad but the majority are saying they want a degree and PGCE.
    Given the end result of QTS is the same, does is really matter??
    Just looking for a bit of advice, as don't want to waste time applying for jobs that state PGCE, since I haven't got one (!!) if it is that important
    Thanks

3. cityfree

cityfree New commenter

I don't know about every job, country etc...but I do know that a work-mate from a TP was trying to teach abroad with GTP and found it very difficult. Don't give up, but maybe email them to check. I just don't think a lot of the schools really know what a GTP entails (or that it exists). Good luck.

4. I was a mentor for a GTP student and when asking local schools in our local authority in England many said they would not accept her with only QTS they wanted a PGCE or Bed. When she did the course it was just starting and did not cover half as much as a PGCE as it really was learning from the school and not from a university. I think she only went on about 4 courses all year and learnt all about the NC from our staff. Maybe there is a conversion course. Some schools abroad have teachers with other qualifications and then they do the overseas PGCE - but this can cost a lot of money but would give the required qualification.

5. There may also be work permit/visa issues to consider. A school will find it a lot easier to make the case "he/she is more qualified than a local hire" if there is a piece of paper within your visa application that is recognisable to immigration.