1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

GTP Trainee

Discussion in 'English' started by Facetious, Apr 11, 2011.

1. Although my training was a PGCE and not GTP, I'm fairly certain the content is similar. On applying, we did a self-audit of knowledge we lacked and it was up to us to make sure we improved our subject knowledge in those areas. The course itself focused on pedagogy and curriculum so we had to be responsible enough to strengthen our knowledge in our own time. I spent a very long summer acquainting myself with the most popular of Shakespeare's plays, as I knew I would need them for teaching.

2. Oh, and journalism will stand you in good stead. The people with the hardest task were those for whom grammar was a struggle, whereas I just had to catch up with a load of reading. It sounds like you are in a similar boat. Good luck - you'll love it!

3. As soon as possible contact the school and try to find out what you can about their curiculum- what texts they use in particular, so you can read them in advance. Your subject knowledge is probably fine but in my experience working at a grammar does demand more of your subject knowledge.

I also recommend 'How to be a brilliant English teacher' by Trevor Wright.