1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

GTP Trainee looking to apply for NQT position next year

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by breadman84, Jan 4, 2012.

1. I'm currently a GTP English trainee and have just begun browsing job vacancies online. I'm yet to clarify if my training school wish to keep me on for my NQT year as the school is going through a period of transition.
    What I would like to know is what to look out for in job vacancy descriptions from the point of view of a current trainee?
    And
    What should trainees be doing at this time to help towards finding a place for the following year?

2. I'm currently a GTP English trainee and have just begun browsing job vacancies online. I'm yet to clarify if my training school wish to keep me on for my NQT year as the school is going through a period of transition.
    What I would like to know is what to look out for in job vacancy descriptions from the point of view of a current trainee?
    And
    What should trainees be doing at this time to help towards finding a place for the following year?

3. APPLY, APPLY, APPLY!
    I completed GTP last year, and was a bit picky about what I applied to at first, thinking more jobs would come along. I ended up not securing a full time position, and worked 2 days/week for the first half term of this year, before picking up a maternity position where I am now.
    It may be different in a core subject such as English, but if I were to go back I'd apply for twice as many as I did (I think I did about 20(?) applications from January to June)

4. Thanks for that.
    I have been picky in terms of the location as I'm not in a position to relocate and not really up for a long commute, but the commute may have to be sacrificed.
    When it comes to job descriptions how brave should I be? many ads say they want experience, very few, if any, are for NQT positions (or am I being ignorant in that NQT positions aren't advertised but taken on on the stength of applicaiton for a teacher position?)

5. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Most jobs will include NQTs, unless (a) they specifically say Experience, or (b) they are TLR posts. So they don't have to say NQT in them.
    BUT . . .
    You need to learn how to write a proper application nowadays. And you might not get much in the way of useful help, to be honest, from your colleagues at school nor (if you were doing a PGCE at a Uni) from your tutors. I have seen terrible advice given!
    The general advice for getting on with job hunting (and I had dinner last night with a Head who is putting ads in the TES next Friday for September) is set out below for you.
    My advice on writing applications is contained mainly in the shortlisting clickables inside the welcome thread here on this Forum.
    For an effective application, you should send:
    • an application form with every bit filled in, no "See letter"
    • an application letter OR personal statement. Not both but certainly one of them.
    • a cover letter ONLY if you do a personal statement. See FAQs inside the Welcome thread
    • an Executive summary. If there's a space on the form, put it in there; if not, put it at the end of your letter so that it gets printed out automatically. The shortlisting clickables explain about this.
    As a summary of the steps to take in getting a job:
    Point 1 Are you getting notification of all possible jobs? Do several JobAlerts here on the TES Forum, for all your subjects, and then repeat them all for the independent schools. * * * * How to set up a Job Alert * * * * is at the top of the page
    Point 2 Are you following the advice in the shortlisting clickables inside the Welcome thread?
    Lots of posters have found it gets them interviews - and jobs. Headteachers say that they appreciate candidates who do what I advise.
    Please take Theo's advice!
    taking Theo's Advice
    The benefit of an executive summary
    read theo's advice and do the executive summary people, it really does work, seriously!!!!
    Dear Theo: Executive summary works- I have an interview
    Point 3 Have you tried doing an interview practice with someone who will give you blunt feedback? You'll need to get ready for when you do get an interview. You might, for example, being doing something quite simple, like screwing up your face in a glare when you are conisdering an answer, which can be very off-putting. And which a school is unlikely to tell you about.
    Point 4 And then, if all has failed because you are already doing all this, then you should be thinking of getting on a train or a coach to come to the application seminars: the next one of Winning That Teaching Job is quite soon: Saturday 21 January. There is another one in February, just before the February 29 resignation date, so you are all fresh for any new jobs that come up then. It's Saturday 25th February, and I shall be doing that one.
    www.tes.co.uk/careerseminars
    Going to a seminar has worked for many posters
    Dear Theo.....I got the job!!!!!
    Point 6 Finally, you might like to open your piggy bank and come for a One-to-One session with me or someone else from the team. Again, people have found this helpful:
    Dear Everyone... I met TheoGriff!
    Theo and tremendous support
    Theo's 'One to One' careers service....
    Now the last two cost money, and although it is worth it (just calculate the difference between JSA and a NQT salary . . .), it always makes sense to try out the free advice first!
    Best wishes, and best of luck.
    I do Application and Interview one-to-ones, and also contribute to the Job Application Seminars. We look at application letters, executive summaries and interviews, with practical exercises that people really appreciate.
    www.tes.co.uk/careerseminars