1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

    Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

    Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

    Dismiss Notice

GTP - the etiquette of accepting offers?

Discussion in 'Trainee and student teachers' started by gindle, Jan 25, 2011.

  1. Hi there,
    I am currently applying to a number of GTP providers and have four schools (in different areas) who are interested in supporting me should I get a funded place at a provider. I am now at the stage of second interviews for a couple of these providers and I am concerned about the etiquette of accepting any potential offers?
    My friends in teaching tell me of the strict tradition of accepting an offer on the day, and that it is seen as unacceptable - potentially extremely harmful to your future career - to subsequently withdraw your application.
    I am wondering if this etiquette / tradition is the same at GTP level when applying to schools / providers? Whilst there are schools / providers that I prefer, when TDA allocations are still unknown, and any offer therefore conditional, I feel it would be unwise to narrow my options, and potentially be left with nowhere!
    Can anyone shed any light on this?
    Thanks:)
     
  2. Hi there,
    I am currently applying to a number of GTP providers and have four schools (in different areas) who are interested in supporting me should I get a funded place at a provider. I am now at the stage of second interviews for a couple of these providers and I am concerned about the etiquette of accepting any potential offers?
    My friends in teaching tell me of the strict tradition of accepting an offer on the day, and that it is seen as unacceptable - potentially extremely harmful to your future career - to subsequently withdraw your application.
    I am wondering if this etiquette / tradition is the same at GTP level when applying to schools / providers? Whilst there are schools / providers that I prefer, when TDA allocations are still unknown, and any offer therefore conditional, I feel it would be unwise to narrow my options, and potentially be left with nowhere!
    Can anyone shed any light on this?
    Thanks:)
     
  3. welshwizard

    welshwizard Established commenter Forum guide

    It will rather depend upon if you are applying to different EBITTs for each school. Most GTP offers are likely to be subject to funding -i.e approval by the EBITT. Explain your situation to the schools and that you are trying to maximise your chances. The situation you need to avoid is appearing to play 2 schools off against each other for the same EBITT. You should look carefully at what support schools are providing- have they done GTP before, how experienced is the mentor, what are the classes like . etc. then make your chouice based on those facts.
     
  4. cupofteacher

    cupofteacher New commenter

    It is highly unlikely you will know on the day if you are being offerred a place. When I applied they asked us if we were applying to other providers too, that way you can be upfront and honest. Personally I would accept the first place I was offerred, that way you can contact other providers in advance and let them know you no longer require a place.
     

  5. thank you! really appreciate the advice on this :)
     
  6. I am in a similar situation and wondering if anyone can give some advice. In my area, the training providers state you must secure a school before applying for funding. I secured my first school, who are keen to employ me, and I am keen to work with them. Together, we have applied to one of the two training providers and I am awaiting their response.
    Recently, a school I had previously worked in approached me and offered me an interview. They are applying to the other training provider. Neither school is applying to both. Like other posters, I really want to get onto teacher training this year, and as I may get rejected by my first choice I feel that it is wise to have a back-up plan. I went to the interview and will find out the outcome tomorrow.
    Can anyone offer any advice if I am successful? [​IMG]
    I am also applying to the pcge - I don't know if I am doing the right thing but I just really want to keep all my options open at this stage - especially with limited funding this year!
     
  7. Hi Teach1020, I think you have posted on the Anglia Ruskin thread too?!! I have also applied for GTP as I wanted to keep my options open. Initially I was worried that I would hear from AR first and had the dilemma of what to do if they offered me a place as my preference has always been GTP for financial reasons. However with the deadline now extended to 28th Feb i think i will hear about both within a short space of time. Not really sure about the etiquette thing but I always thought i would accept whichever offer I got and if I was lucky enough to get two firm offers then i would have to turn one down. Not sure if that made sense but basically i think you have to put yourself first by keeping your options open!!! Fingers are still crossed for everyone!
     
  8. Thanks groovychick - I have PM'd you!
     
  9. Teach1020.......at the risk of sounding really thick I have to question the meaning of 'PM'd'????!!!!!
     
  10. Doh, just picked up your email!!! Thanks, Teach 1020!!
     
  11. jenstowell

    jenstowell New commenter

    Can anyone clarify at what point you are actually contractually obliged to the course?
    If was offered a place by a training provider and replied in writing to accept it, but when I attended the actual school referred from the training provider - I did not feel that it was the right environment/area/support system, can I at that point withdraw and take up an offer elsewhere without repercussions?
     

Share This Page