1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

GTP Student having a nervous breakdown

Discussion in 'Supply teaching' started by phatsals, Apr 24, 2011.

1. phatsals

phatsals Occasional commenter

Take a deep breath and work out a timetable. After Easter it's a short week, then only 4 to the whit holiday. After that it's the last half term to the end of the year. If the workload is getting on top of you either speak to your school mentor, uni mentor or have a week off sick to catch up.
    Don't quit now, you really are too close to the end, teacher training is gruelling but if you can get through this you will fly next year when the pressure is off.

2. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

From my GTP student's mentor last year I rather gather this is about the time when students really start to feel the pressure.
    As someone has advised, try & stick with it the end is in sight. Soon exams will start & timetables start to free up people who might be able to help you. Good weather tends to lighten everybody up too.
    Best of luck with all that paperwork!

3. I was partly a cover supervisor and partly art teacher, teaching some elements of c&m diploma. I kind of fell into the position, and I would urge anyone wanting to teach to do it the right way. You pick up sloppy habits and have little to no support, having said that personally I wouldn't change any of the experiences i've had. There is most definitely no permanent place in education for unqualified teachers, its unregulated and the work largely goes unchecked.

Thank you all for your help and advice. I have made a timetable for this next week and contacted my Subject tutor. Having
    fallen completely apart yesterday I have managed to get an awful lot done today!

4. Time management and working out priorities.
    Identify if you are a morning or afternoon person.
    I am a morning person, so I go in early in the morning, often first in. Have an hour getting my head around the day.
    Some people feel more buzzy at the end of the day and do a lot then.
    Frees or PPA,s or whatever you want to call them.
    One PPA use just for chasing up discipline issues.
    Another PPA just for marking a teaching group.
    Another PPA making sure all the students work is in the right place. Practical subjects require clear organization and care of students work.
    Another PPA making sure classroom displays look good. No stuff on the walls from a top student who has probably retired by now.
    On marking really avoid starting to mark a teaching group and leaving it half way. You get no sense of achievement then and the work still needs to be gone back to.
    Just my ideas on how I do things when doing the teaching thing in a practical area.