1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

GTP Student D&T - Please help

Discussion in 'Design and technology' started by Schm00, Mar 2, 2011.

1. Hi,
    I am a GTP Student teaching Design and Technology and I have a quick question regarding assessment of KS3. At the school I am working at we don't grade projects using the traditional A, B, C etc but instead use the Level Descriptors for the pupils work, for example 4a, 4b, 4c so on and so forth, and give them targets. I'm happy with the levels and the descriptors and what they mean but as I have been grading pupils work and I'm finding that some of the levels I'm giving Years 8 & 9 are lower than the marks they were given at the end of their last year. I have spoken to my subject mentor who is also my HOD. He has told me to try not to mark the pupils down. Problem is I'm finding it hard not to. In some cases a pupil may have been given a 5b at the end of year 7 but the last project they completed I have graded it a 4b (and I thought that mark was generous). He said I should mark the work with a holistic approach and try and find links to the descriptors where I can. My issue with this is if I don't mark the pupil down it is unfair on the pupils that genuinely did get 5b.
    Is this really how I should approach my marking as I don't feel very comfortable with this way of thinking. Could somebody put me straight.
    Thanks in advance
    S
    PS it wasn't really a quick question was it. Sorry about that for who ever reads it

2. Hi,
    I am a GTP Student teaching Design and Technology and I have a quick question regarding assessment of KS3. At the school I am working at we don't grade projects using the traditional A, B, C etc but instead use the Level Descriptors for the pupils work, for example 4a, 4b, 4c so on and so forth, and give them targets. I'm happy with the levels and the descriptors and what they mean but as I have been grading pupils work and I'm finding that some of the levels I'm giving Years 8 & 9 are lower than the marks they were given at the end of their last year. I have spoken to my subject mentor who is also my HOD. He has told me to try not to mark the pupils down. Problem is I'm finding it hard not to. In some cases a pupil may have been given a 5b at the end of year 7 but the last project they completed I have graded it a 4b (and I thought that mark was generous). He said I should mark the work with a holistic approach and try and find links to the descriptors where I can. My issue with this is if I don't mark the pupil down it is unfair on the pupils that genuinely did get 5b.
    Is this really how I should approach my marking as I don't feel very comfortable with this way of thinking. Could somebody put me straight.
    Thanks in advance
    S
    PS it wasn't really a quick question was it. Sorry about that for who ever reads it

3. Everyone has to use level descriptors and each school has own take on this- we level pupils for each project in diff materials and cross moderate- on end of year report they get highest one. A puil may excell in textiles but be poor att PD.you could look at QCA exemplar work to get a better idea of what is expected for each level

4. littlemissraw

littlemissraw Occasional commenter

I was also told pupils can't go down. Therefore if I thought their work was sub standard to their previous grade I just gave them the same grade and wrote comments to that effect. Try and pick on some positives they have done well in though. Sometimes its hard to do but it will help both them and you move forward. x

5. Hi
    I did GTP in design & technology, mainly in food with a little RM. I suggest you look at how other members of your department mark. This should be completed by your mentor, its the usual thing though that GTP's get left to their own devices, as you probably want a job is can be difficult to go on about something to much. You could take the descriptors and simplify to pupil speak for years 7, 8 and 9. A holistic approach is good though but does take some time to get your head around. When marking try and focus on how they ahave met the components of the descriptors and complete levels accordingly. Hope this helps and has not rambled on to much. Please fell free to ask for more detail
    Cheers

6. Welcome to the world of education! I followed the same route as you. I love my job and being in this environment so enjoy!
    I completely sympathise with you not feeling comfortable and to me it is ridiculous as it tells the students that they are on track but clearly aren't. It is a perfect example of how we have to manipulate data in order to appear that we are doing our jobs correctly and that students are going to progress the two levels over the key stage. You do have to, however follow you HoD and conform. The sooner you get your head around that the easier life will be. The constant feedback and dialogue you have with the students is far more valuable than a level in my opinion anyway.

7. TES Resource Team

TES Resource Team Occasional commenter Institute Enrolment Advisor

Ok, to help you out a little, maybe try this next time.......Say you are teaching year 8 how to write a specification, firstly find yourself some examples and reference that will give clear guidance on how those pupils can achieve those sub levels. Set your task, input and delivery so at the very least the level has been articulated in the right way and therefore set, then introduce the examples that are closest to those sub levels or levels. Now when you grade the work no one can argue, you tailored your input to hit those targets, provided the examples specific to those targets and if they still don't hit them.....well then they did not achieve the target.
    Ask yourself how you could modify your approach or even descriptors, further tailor your examples and if the pupils still do not produce work of that standard then this arguement becomes far less subjective, its an evidence based discussion. Also try to remember you are just starting out, do not rush things and give yourself the space to try these types of experiment. The teacher who achieved higher sub levels last year may well have been teaching longer and may have employed different techniques in order to do so.
    Don't Panic, you obviously care, otherwise you would not have voiced a concern.
    Spencer Herbert
    TES DT Advisor