1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

GTP shortfall

Discussion in 'Trainee and student teachers' started by Hercule, May 22, 2011.

1. Does anyone know if the shortfall in funding for the GTP that the school has to cover is consistent across providers?I recently spoke to a school about undertaking the GTP with them and they knew about the shortfall but seemed to think that for their other GTP student it was around £2000 - but for EM Direct who I've applied through it's over £5000.
    Also, is it possible to make a contriubtion to cover the shortfall yourself? I'd much rather pay £3000 and undertake the GTP than amass 4 times that paying for a PGCE.

2. welshwizard

welshwizard Established commenter Forum guide

It depends on the London -Fringe weightings which affect the starting salary and there is variation as some EBITTs allocate the training money to schools others withold it. GenerallyI tell schools to budget for 7-10k shortfall to cover salary difference and on costs for National Insurance and Pension and release time .
    Can be difficult to pay an employer to take you and any contribution to the school needs to be of a charitable nature not to breach financial regulations.

3. In my experience EM Direct have a bigger shortfall than lots of other providers. Why this is i have no idea. I do know that this puts off alot of schools from using them. I'm pretty sure you cant pay the shortfall yourself. I'm not sure how you would arrange this, as you would effectively be paying the school to then pay yourself?! I cant see the school being able to set you up as a different salary, as you are paid at whatever Unqualified Teacher scale 1 is.