1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

GTP Sept 2011 - And bricking it.

Discussion in 'Trainee and student teachers' started by flimsynight, May 24, 2011.

1. flimsynight

flimsynight New commenter

Hi - I'm just wondering if anyone else about to start their GTP in September is as terrified as I am?? I'm going to a fab school, with staff who seem really supportive, and I've been spending a lot of time there seeing how things work, where things are, etc. I have even started teaching part of a few lessons.
    But, as I have no teaching experience apart from this, I am worried that I'm going to be overwhelmed in the first few weeks. I don't really even know how to go about planning a good lesson properly (to involve enough activites to fill the time, differentiation activities, dealing with SEN students, etc) and I'll be thrown straight in with classes of my own to teach. I'm just worried that even if I do the right things in the first lessons (laying out expectations etc) then the minute I actually get into teaching then they will all see my weaknesses and start acting up.
    Maybe I'm just nervous at the prospect of starting a new career, but I can't help feeling a bit shaky about it all! I'm secondary science by the way.

Flims

2. flimsynight

flimsynight New commenter

Hi - I'm just wondering if anyone else about to start their GTP in September is as terrified as I am?? I'm going to a fab school, with staff who seem really supportive, and I've been spending a lot of time there seeing how things work, where things are, etc. I have even started teaching part of a few lessons.
    But, as I have no teaching experience apart from this, I am worried that I'm going to be overwhelmed in the first few weeks. I don't really even know how to go about planning a good lesson properly (to involve enough activites to fill the time, differentiation activities, dealing with SEN students, etc) and I'll be thrown straight in with classes of my own to teach. I'm just worried that even if I do the right things in the first lessons (laying out expectations etc) then the minute I actually get into teaching then they will all see my weaknesses and start acting up.
    Maybe I'm just nervous at the prospect of starting a new career, but I can't help feeling a bit shaky about it all! I'm secondary science by the way.

Flims

3. First and foremost, get the lessons clear in your head the WAY YOU WANT THEM. Once this is done, then you can worry about writing the plans in a way which pleases othe people - just so long as this isn't to the detrement of you, your teaching and, most importantly, your pupils. This will become easier over time, trust me.
    Make as much use of observing other teachers as possible - and not just in your subject (science, I think you said). You'll see a few things you'll like to ty and also see some things which really don't work, and this will help you find your way in class.
    Once you've got the course outline/Scheme of Work etc you will hopefully have some guidance on how long each topic should take, this will then give you an idea of how many lessons you have in which to cover it, and then you can start setting objectives and outcomes for individual lessons. The class teachers will be able to give you an idea of whether you are expecting too much or too little from the pupils - and, in time, you'll be able to make those judgements yourself without too much trouble. One tip, though, always have at least the next lesson in your mind - this way, if everyone finishes the work (including the extension work for THAT lesson) sooner than you thought then you can move the class forward there and then.
    And, as per a few other threads - enjoy your summer! Make the most of the free time while you still can!

4. It would be odd if you weren't a bit worried, as it is a big change, but it is probably because you have time to ponder on it. Once you start doing it you won't have time to ponder on it all and will just have a go. Our provider showed us example plans etc, but you learn to develop them to suit you. Don't worry about making mistakes, that's what this year is about. It's all a big learning curve. Despite spending a lot of time being pushed out of my comfort zone it was great and such a great preparation for the NQT year. I am sure you will be fine! Just be as organised as possible (see the other threads on being prepared) and try not to dwell on it all too much now. Don't expect youself to be outstanding from day 1. It is tricky at first, but like anything you start to do a lot, it gets easier, better and more enjoyable. Lots of people on my GTP had no teaching experience and were fine. Your provider should provide you with input and support too, so no one is expecting you to know how to do it all at this stage. Just be keen, proactive and willing to learn. Good luck!

5. I am in the exact same situation. I am going to be starting a R.E. secondary GTP in September. I have been told we will have 2 weeks to settle in/observe, then it will be a full teaching schedule, with a tutor group. I am scared and nervous, but I think it is to be expected. The way I look at it is, the GTP is giving me a head start on knowing what to expect in the NQT year. I hope everything goes well for you, we are all in the same boat :) .

6. euripidesgirl

euripidesgirl New commenter

I'm in slightly similar situation, starting a new job in Sept having only taught at uni level previously. The school is lovely but I also worry about what exactly the workload will be, will I have time for everything, etc etc! I am planning on moving there well in advance of the start of term so I can familiarise myself with the school as well as planning the coursework...but still, it's kind of daunting when you stop and think about it all! Thought maybe I was the only one scared about this kind of thing...secretly a bit glad you too are freaking out and it's not just me! Is yours an independent school?

7. paulcollins

paulcollins New commenter

I'm starting my GTP (Maths) in Sep 2011 too! I've been working as a cover supervisor the last 2 years in a different school and so am hoping this experience will stand me in good sted?!
    I can't wait to get started on my GTP and am looking forward to finally having my own classes as opposed to covering other people's!
    What University is everyone doing their GTP via? Mine's part of the West London Partnership (WLP) (Kingston Uni predominantly).
    Paul

8. Hi Films
    I am coming to the end of my GTP, and I am also a secondary in science. I was bricking also, my experience was in behaviour management and i only ever ran sessions for about 10 kids so the idea of teaching 30 scared the hell out of me. I have been with Ninestiles which is known for loads of paperwork, but i feel really prepared for my new job in Sept.
    You wont be thrown straight in, although compared to P.G.C.E's your are because you are there from the start and then do not start still after half term. If you have a mentor like mine i observed for a few weeks she showed me how to look over SoW, i started running settlers, starters and plenaries and we did a practice planning session before i started planning full lessons, where i planned a lesson, she suggested some alterations and i modified it (about 3 times) and then she taught it while i observed and made notes then we discussed it and it prepared me to plan full lessons.
    Like P.G.C.E's you will have assignments to do, this was one area i found hard as well as uploading evidence but my big tip is spend some time per week updating your folders so you do not spend your holidays doing it.
    It is a tough year, and it depends where you do your GTP because they are all different mine has been mad and i can not believe that i have got through it but you do, you will be massively surprised. Also it means your NQT is slightly easier because your used to the amount of work.
    The idea of starting a new career, well make sure it is the one for you, if it is not do not be scared to say, also subject knowledge was one thing i was worried about, because you are teaching things you havent covered since your own G.C.S.E's and sometimes things you have not even studied before. I have had lessons with another teacher on areas i have difficultly with and that boasted my confidence and once you have taught it a few times your knowledge gets that bit better.
    Anyway you will be fine, you should always have someone in the room with you so behaviour management will be fine until you get in your stride, read some behaviour management books if your worried such as "cracking the hard class" and "Classroom management" by Bill Rogers or "Getting the buggars to behave" by Sue Rowley.
    Everyone feels the same way you do but you get through it, if we didnt there would be no teachers.
    Good Luck
    Han :)

9. Hi All
    Great thread! I'm starting a Primary GTP in Sept, also with WLP / Kingston Uni. I'm coming from a completely different background, so I'm a little nervous. I'm also massively excited and am counting down the weeks left at work (12 to go..!)
    I've not been told what class I'll be with yet as my school are still working out the logistics of moving from 2 to 3 form intake for this year. I'm pushing to find out before the induction day on June 20th.
    Other WLPers - is it worth us exchanging email addresses?
    Clive