1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

GTP Secondary PE Your thoughts

Discussion in 'Trainee and student teachers' started by reb2g08, Jan 26, 2012.

1. I am currently a GTP but doing it in Science.
    I have a few friends who are doing it in PE and I would say that they only way you are going to get in is if you can offer another subject. There are just no jobs out there for PE teachers.
    One of my friends has had to teach Maths too and the other has had to teach Histor, both whilst in their training year. They will probably end up teaching History and Maths next year instead of PE.
    Another fellow Science teacher did his degree in Sports Science and because he knew there were no jobs out there he managed to persuade them to let him do a GTP in science.

Sorry for the doom and gloom but there is no point training to find that there are no jobs out there afterwards!

2. Hey,
    I trained as a GTP in PE last year and it was AMAZING, lots of work but I was in a fantastic school in which whole department supported me.
    Arrive in smart and then change would be my advice, we didn't actually have to teach for our interview, simply observe and discuss. They normally ask for a snipit of a lesson to show that you can cover the core curriculum, often gymnastics or dance but don't panic!
    We were asked to write a discussion regarding emotional intell, if I remember correct we had to read a document and then sumarise it, including how we'd apply it in the classroom, but they can pick anything.
    There were 8 at interview and they took 3, unusual but 2 out of 3 of us now have full time jobs although not easy to get.
    If its what you want to do and your the right sort of candidate for the job then don't give up, its an amazing (yet time consuming) course and it gets easier after the first year!
    Good luck

3. Thank you Both for your replies
    both of you have helped and i will take in all the information and use it best i can.
    Mlosullivan