1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

GTP (Secondary) Interview - Nottingham University

Discussion in 'Trainee and student teachers' started by tiltal, Jan 17, 2011.

1. Hi everyone!
    I have an interview next week with Nottingham Uni, and wondered if anyone else has had one recently?
    I would really appreciate any advice.
    So far I have looked into the changed around the curriculum, and into my subject area (English). I intend to look at some of the reports such as The Rose Report. I know about ECM. Anything else you think I should look at?
    My interview invite says that I will have a hand-written task based on a subject to be given at the interview, and an individual interview in which I will be set an informal subject knowledge task.
    Is anyone out there who has recently done the interview that can give me an idea of what to expect?
    I am nervous, but really quite excited at the prospect of my future in teaching! I really hope I get on the course![​IMG]
    Would really appreciate any advice, or tips!
    Thanks so much. [​IMG]

2. Could you give some feedback here once you have had your interview?
    It will be really usefull.
    Thanks

3. Hi

I will do. It's a pity no one else has posted any tips or advice yet. [​IMG]

4. I am reading similar things. PSHE, white paper, curriculum review, english baccalaureate.... new budgets affecting schools, academies...
    When is your interview?

5. It is on Tuesday. When is yours? What subject?

6. Good luck... i have just seen your post. I imagine you are right now doing it....so i'm wishing you all the best!!
    Mine is on the 4th. Subjest is MFL.
    I would appreciate if you provide me some feedback after your interview.
    Thanks a lot!!!!

7. ooh, I am now wondering who the previous posters are, as I am currently on the GTP at Nottingham, in a cohort of 40+ MFLs, English, Maths and Science.
    For the interview I'd said just be yourself! Sounds trite, but it's more your personality and how you feel about children and their education that is more significant than how up to date you are with current affairs. Of course they don't want to see that you've got your head up yer bum & haven't a clue what's going on in the world of teaching, but they won't expect you to be able to quote chapter and verse.
    Neither do they expect you to know every damn thing about your subject. So long as you can identify what you need more experience of, and have an idea what to do to get this, they'll be happy. They're looking for reflective practitioners; people who can learn from and build on what they know, including their mistakes!
    Have an idea about a vague scheme of work around a particular text you like - they gave me the 'Open Stock Cupboard' idea - what text would you like to teach round, what could you do with it, etc - to demonstrate that you have a starting point of a notion of what sort of things you can do with texts. We've got the Curriculum Planning assignment due at the moment - it's keeping me awake at nights cos I don't know where to start! But I'll pick a few brains and get there ...
    It is a hard, hard course - exhausting physically and mentally so be prepared for that - but it's rewarding and fulfilling as well. Good luck!

8. Thanks for the advice, it's a shame i only just read it lol. I went for it yesterday...there were two ladies coordinating it, who were both lovely. I doubt i've got it though as everyone else had a lot more experience than me, but hey ho...now its just the waiting game, they said i'd find out within 7-10 days!! [​IMG]