1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

GTP second school placement

Discussion in 'Trainee and student teachers' started by rachy_baby84, Jan 4, 2011.

1. Hi all. I'm currently on the GTP and have just started my 2nd placement school and am hating it. I was so happy and supported in my old school and I seem to have now been placed into the most unfriendly school with a mentor who couldn't give two hoots. I feel totally bombarded and am basically being told to get on with it and it's day 1! I'm currently trying to get a lesson together for tomorrow that has been sprung on me, and with no experience in KS2 i'm struggling. I know this is 2nd placement is supposed to give us more experience but what happens if it all goes wrong and you are marked really badly on it???

2. Hi all. I'm currently on the GTP and have just started my 2nd placement school and am hating it. I was so happy and supported in my old school and I seem to have now been placed into the most unfriendly school with a mentor who couldn't give two hoots. I feel totally bombarded and am basically being told to get on with it and it's day 1! I'm currently trying to get a lesson together for tomorrow that has been sprung on me, and with no experience in KS2 i'm struggling. I know this is 2nd placement is supposed to give us more experience but what happens if it all goes wrong and you are marked really badly on it???

3. cupofteacher

cupofteacher New commenter

Hiya,
    I am also on my second placement, just started it too! I would give it a good chance, today may just be a one off! Does your EBITT expect you to teach so soon? Mine says obs/team teaching for first week of second placement. Have you sat down with your mentor and covered your strengths/weaknesses? If not this may be their way of doing a baseline assessment of you (not the right phrase but you know what I mean?) It may be worthwhile sitting down and going through what your expectations are of each other throughout your placement. I have found this invaluable.
    I personally feel the GTP is a just get on with it type of course, your placement may have had other trainees who are used to doing just that.

4. Don't panic. When I did the GTP last year I remember feeling exactly the same, as did many of my other GTPers. I think part of it is that if you are having a good experience in your first school, you regard it as your 'real home'. I really didn't want to leave that nice, familiar environment and hated that horrible new girl feeling, when you just feel in the way and don't know anything.
    I am sure it won't go horribly wrong. Just ask for help and keep positive. To be honest I didn't really like my second placement and mentally counted the weeks down, partly because I knew I wasn't there for long, so didn't really feel part of it. Having said all that I tried really hard to be positive, to be as proactive and helpful as possible and get the most out of out and after I did feel it had done me a lot of good to be put in such a different environment.
    Just stay positive. It is early days and things will get easier as you settle in. If it isn't great, just remind yourself you won't be there for long.

5. Thanks for the advice. I am feeling a bit better today. Still feeling like a bit of a loner but am trying to think postiviely and just taking each day as it comes. Taugh literacy today and wasn't too bad and teaching numeracy tomorrow so hopefully I will feel a bit better once i'm sort of into the swing of things.
    It was the definitely the way that my base school feels like home. I'll appreciate it even more when I get back!