1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

GTP ? School/Other Work Experience People Have Before Applying

Discussion in 'Trainee and student teachers' started by nbuuifx, Mar 28, 2012.

1. I've just got a place on the primary GTP.
    I have approx 10 years experience in an IT environment, which sometimes involved training adults but that was as close as I got to teaching. I also did a small amount of IT work for a few local schools.
    I did 2 weeks voluntary in Dec 2010 just to make sure teaching was what I wanted, then I started to put things in place ready. I then started again with the voluntary work in Sept 2011 working 2 days per week across a range of year groups. In October I was asked to cover another TA officially for half a day a week (paid). My interview was in January, on the day of my interview a TA had suddenly left at the school and I was asked if I could take over that role full time until the summer holidays. So was able to add that I would be working full time as a TA until the summer holidays.
    I would recommend as much experience as possible though as there is so much to learn in 1 year with the GTP - you do have enough time though to get enough experience in but you may have to get some time off from work to be able to do it.

2. Hi!

I have a place on the GTP due to start this September. Don't let people scare you into thinking you need to work as a TA or I'm a school for the year beforehand. I did 2 weeks full time work experience at the school that agreed to support me and then one day every week when I could. And I was then successful through the interview stages of my chosen provider and I'm looking forward to starting in September.
    . I know other people on the course have worked as TAs so I will be in the minority, and maybe at a disadvantage in that sense that they have been in a school environment for a year but I think the people interviewing must have realised that I am serious about it and have a passion to teach.
    So as long as you get across how much you want to be on a GTP and how passionate you are you will stand as good enough chance as anyone with just the minimum amount of work experience required.

3. welshwizard

welshwizard Established commenter Forum guide

As you see from the responses it entirely depends upon the local GTP situation. In areas where there is strong demand then schools look for people with more experience. Many primary GTP's do begin as teaching assistants paid or unpaid. This is a foot in the door and in effect a prolonged interview. As primary schools are having to fork out more money to support GTP salaries then they are going to be more cautious about filling GTP places and want to be sure of the commitment. GTP is very demanding and there are lots of unofficial murmurings about an increasing drop out rate particularly amongst younger candidates.
    Additionally with large numbers of PGCE students looking for NQT posts there is less incentive for schools to use the GTP.