1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

    Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

    Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

    Dismiss Notice

GTP School Interview Advice Needed

Discussion in 'Trainee and student teachers' started by thsafc, Mar 11, 2012.

  1. Hello,
    I'm looking for some advice on a particular issue of timing with regard to interviews for GTP schools..
    I applied to two GTP courses this year, one which required you to have a school prior to applying, and one which doesn't. I have been accepted on the latter course, and have an interview this Thursday at one of their partner schools - the school I would most like to be placed in from their shortlist.
    What's worrying me is that I have had the interview at the other GTP provider and am in limbo waiting for their decision on whether to offer me a place. I will know in the next two weeks, which, obviously, doesn't guarantee I'll know by Thursday's interview.
    My priority would be to train in the school that has supported my application to this university. They have been good to me and I would stay loyal to them. And I would be a fool to turn down this interview as there is every chance that I won't get a place on the course in order to train in my current school.
    But what happens if I am offered the place at this school on Thursday? I don't like messing people around, but I need to keep my options open. And I am aware that it's better to have these choices than to have none at all. But the potential quandry is playing on my mind. Some people have said that if the school offers me the place I say yes, and then change my mind if the other course comes through. The only teacher I have asked says that this isn't the done thing in education.
    What would you do? Any advice would be really appreciated.
    Thanks.
     
  2. Hello,
    I'm looking for some advice on a particular issue of timing with regard to interviews for GTP schools..
    I applied to two GTP courses this year, one which required you to have a school prior to applying, and one which doesn't. I have been accepted on the latter course, and have an interview this Thursday at one of their partner schools - the school I would most like to be placed in from their shortlist.
    What's worrying me is that I have had the interview at the other GTP provider and am in limbo waiting for their decision on whether to offer me a place. I will know in the next two weeks, which, obviously, doesn't guarantee I'll know by Thursday's interview.
    My priority would be to train in the school that has supported my application to this university. They have been good to me and I would stay loyal to them. And I would be a fool to turn down this interview as there is every chance that I won't get a place on the course in order to train in my current school.
    But what happens if I am offered the place at this school on Thursday? I don't like messing people around, but I need to keep my options open. And I am aware that it's better to have these choices than to have none at all. But the potential quandry is playing on my mind. Some people have said that if the school offers me the place I say yes, and then change my mind if the other course comes through. The only teacher I have asked says that this isn't the done thing in education.
    What would you do? Any advice would be really appreciated.
    Thanks.
     
  3. welshwizard

    welshwizard Established commenter Forum guide

    Fundamentally you need to find out if the school plans to offer a post on the day. One peculiarity of teaching is that they expect an instant response but in some places there could be leeway to consider the options.
    You could also discuss with your and advise them that you will be facing this situation to see if they are prepared to speed up their process- they anyway need to give you time off to go to the interview.
    Otherwise you need to make a decision between the 2 schools. Suggest you look at the pro's and con's of both places and particularly their tracjk record in training on GTP.
     
  4. Thanks so much for that.

    It's not my current school that I'm waiting on - it's the university that I would be training with, in that school. I know what you mean when you say that if they want you enough they will respond, but I'm not sure if that applies to universities, who are hardly struggling to fill GTP places.

    I may call the university and explain the situation and see if they can let me know their decision. They've already interviewed me, and have probably made their mind up about me one way or the other...

    Thanks again for your help. It is much appreciated.
     

Share This Page