1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

GTP qualification accepted abroad?

Discussion in 'Trainee and student teachers' started by vanzyl.stefan, Jun 1, 2010.

1. Good morning everyone,
    As luck would have it, my GTP course starts very soon and I am really looking forward to it ... however, there has been a lot of controversy with regards to schools becoming academies, parents starting their own schools and cuts in the public sector. Now I know that I should not worry about things that I have no control over, but looking into the possibility of teaching abroad (Australia, New Zealand) seems a bit of a let-down ... this is due to the fact that, it seems, the GTP does not hold much weight as part of the skilled migration visa, or that it is broadly accepted by the Australian teaching council. I am aware that there have been a few post before, on the same subject, but has anything changed since then?
    Coming from South Africa, such a program (GTP) is non existent back home, so I am very fortunate to have been accepted on the course in the first place, and maybe it could be put to use back home in the future?! However, would British International schools accept the GTP as a valid qualification, no matter where they are situated in the world, and why does the PGCE carry more weight as a recognised teaching qualification?

I am just a bit miffed that all the effort I am currently pouring into my degree and the future vocation, will all be for nothing if it is not an "acceptable" qualification elsewhere in the world. What loops do Aussie and Kiwi teachers have to jump through (besides a work visa) to teach in the UK, or has Britain not caught-up with the rest of the world in this regard. It seems as if Brit's have to go through a lot elsewhere in the world (work related), but everyone knocking on the British border (legal migrants), are lead in by the hand and shown where to take a seat?!

All comments are welcome, as long as it is not derogatory!

2. Good morning everyone,
    As luck would have it, my GTP course starts very soon and I am really looking forward to it ... however, there has been a lot of controversy with regards to schools becoming academies, parents starting their own schools and cuts in the public sector. Now I know that I should not worry about things that I have no control over, but looking into the possibility of teaching abroad (Australia, New Zealand) seems a bit of a let-down ... this is due to the fact that, it seems, the GTP does not hold much weight as part of the skilled migration visa, or that it is broadly accepted by the Australian teaching council. I am aware that there have been a few post before, on the same subject, but has anything changed since then?
    Coming from South Africa, such a program (GTP) is non existent back home, so I am very fortunate to have been accepted on the course in the first place, and maybe it could be put to use back home in the future?! However, would British International schools accept the GTP as a valid qualification, no matter where they are situated in the world, and why does the PGCE carry more weight as a recognised teaching qualification?

I am just a bit miffed that all the effort I am currently pouring into my degree and the future vocation, will all be for nothing if it is not an "acceptable" qualification elsewhere in the world. What loops do Aussie and Kiwi teachers have to jump through (besides a work visa) to teach in the UK, or has Britain not caught-up with the rest of the world in this regard. It seems as if Brit's have to go through a lot elsewhere in the world (work related), but everyone knocking on the British border (legal migrants), are lead in by the hand and shown where to take a seat?!

All comments are welcome, as long as it is not derogatory!

3. It hasn't been traditionally accepted in Australia and New Zealand (and other countries) because it wasn't seen as being a full academic qualification (i.e. not enough theory involved). From what I understand some of the providers tried to up their University based training days to help counter this, but I'm not sure if this has had any effect or not.
    As for British Schools abroad, I suspect it would be a case-by-case basis - although they're obviously more likely to accept it than other schools who may not. If you were going for a post in a Brit school abroad, you would presumably have some experience in the UK first, and that would almost certainly have more relevance than your specific qualification.

As for your last part, most countries tailor their entry requirements to try to fill areas where there are shortages. If Australia and New Zealand aren't short of teachers, they're not going to make it easy for foreign teachers to go there. From what I understand it'd be almost impossible for me (as a Brit) to get a job in a non-private school in South Africa because they want to fill their posts with native South Africans first.

4. Hi,
    I'm just coming to the end of my GTP and you're right it's not really accepted abroad unlike a PGCE, in which you receive a Post grad cert in education and not just QTS like a GTP. This is why a PGCE is accepted as an academic qualification is gained. You can however complete your Masters degree in Education during your time as a qualified teacher (after QTS is gained and NQT year is complete) and I believe this will then enable you to be accepted to teach abroad, Hope this helps.

5. Hi TomCG,
    Thanks for the reply and the advice. With regards to non-private schools in South Africa, you have a point; it will be almost impossible to get a job there ... would you however consider that though? A friend of mine is a secondary school teacher in a state-run school with 4 years experience and his salary is dismal. If I were to convert his gross annual salary from Rand into Pound Sterling, then before tax you are looking at an estimate of £9900 pa ... that is seriously bad. this is £5500 less than a trainee teacher will get during his/her GTP or PGCE training. However, there are a few International Schools back home, but don't ask me what they earn as I have asked before; their response was ...

6. Hi there (not sure what I should call you),
    Thank you for the information. Pity about the PGCE vs. GTP issue. I will definitely research the MA in Education closer to the time. How was you course by they way? A few GT people say that you have a personal choice of submitting the bare-minimum for your portfolio if you are that way inclined, others say that it will be easier if you keep it top-notch from the word go ... which method did you employ? With regards to the workload; I assume that it differs from person to person and the effort they sow into the course, but have you had a good work/social-life relationship or was it more the one that the other? How was the support from you tutor and peers during the year?
    Apologies for all the questions, but I'm exited about the whole thing, but before I go ... QTS skills tests, are they similar to what is provided on the TDA website?

Regards.

7. Well firstly, I've had a brilliant time and I feel ready for September (even though I am a little scared!) I have a fantastic mentor and amazing support from the rest of the faculty which really helps, also there are 2 other GT's in my department (design) to sound board off. But I have shed a tear or two along the way (mainly thanks to year 10, who now I'm really going to miss!!) One teacher described me as a rabbit caught in headlights at first, but happily they said they don't recognise me now from when I started! I think the only way I can describe the work load is that people say it's hard and there is a lot and you always think "It can't be that bad, I'll be fine..." No it's not that bad, it's worse and you wont understand until you start. So with that in mind, start as you mean to go on, keep on top of assignments, lesson plans etc... and keep your folder up to date. I'm sorting my folder this half term and I'll be taking things out, but better this way I think than trying to remember or add things in at the last minute. However you just need the evidence that you have met all the standards so if you have this then it's quality not quantity. Get to grips with filing paper work at the start as you'll be eased in so have the time then you can just continue and you'll be fine, manage your time well and do most things without putting them off and you should have some time for your social life. (I came from an industry with a one day weekend so I actually gained time!) If you know you've got a night out planned just make sure your work is done and you'll be fine. The tests online are as you get them as the real thing, if you have trouble with one of the subjects get one of the books, pass your QTS skills test... and these will help loads. I was worried about maths but with a lot of revision I passed first time! Do them early though I put off maths and was under a lot of pressure as I already had a job secured for September and no tests = no QTS!! I hope I've given you a bit of an insight there and answered all your questions, any other thoughts just ask on here, people are always happy to help. (Sorry about the lump of writing - on a mac)

8. Hi there and thank you ever so much for the information. It is greatly appreciated! I hope that I will have the same support structure when I start (Southend Teachers Training Partnership). To date, I still don't know who my mentor will be, as my Head wishes to keep it a secret for the 'BIG' reshuffle coming September. None of the other staff members know where they will be placed, except for those in Foundation Stage, as they had to meet the new intake and the new intake had to meet their prospective teachers as such. I should be OK though, as I know pretty much everyone at school already (LSA since 2009), although the Juniors (Primary) are across the road and I am currently based in the Infants department. From what you have said; I will stay on-top of things from the word go, as I tend to drift when it comes to paperwork ... ooh crumbs! I have downloaded some test material from the TDA website with regards to the QTS skills test, but might invest in the book you have mentioned as well. Did you do all your test at once ... I am uncertain if this is the case, or if you have to do each test separately?!

9. You can do whatever you like, all three at once if you wish or, like I did one at a time. I felt being able to concentrate on each in turn really helps and there's a little less pressure. However I do know people who did all three at once and passed no probs. You can sit them as many times as you want but you HAVE to pass by the end of the year or no QTS. Just get booked in to do them and they'll be no worries. Good luck, you'll have a fantastic year!! Remember to get stuck in to whole school life and not just stay in your GT bubble, this will help you stand out during job application time!!

10. Would the PGCEi compensate for the lack of theory in GTP? Would this be recognised as a valid qualification then? I remember reading the mention "prior-service-postgraduate qualification" on the Australian pages... which would mean that whatever you do afterwards would be null and void unless you would go back to do a PGCE or any recognised qualification and at the same time would renounce all the years of experience you already have!