1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

GTP programme

Discussion in 'Trainee and student teachers' started by welshwizard, Feb 10, 2011.

1. welshwizard

welshwizard Established commenter Forum guide

Achieving a place on the GTP is very competitive and it varies according to where you live-number of DRB providers available. Phase you want to train in- majority of places are now targeted at secondary shortage areas- generally the job situation locally, if there are a lot of NQTs coming out of colleges then there is less incentive for schools to train via GTP. However future Gove plans may result in more opportunities in some places if ITT is shifted to teaching schools.
    The majority of candidates I see gain experience first by working in the classroom as a TA.

2. Hello,
    I have been applying to get onto a GTP course for 3 years. I am now very close to starting one this september (just need to get through the uni interview)
    It is extrememly competitive and hard work to find schools that will take you on. I had to write to 40 schools in my area and one accepted me!
    My previous experience is as a TA for a year and a half and I am currently a cover supervisor which is really useful for developing skills and confidence.
    Don't let that put you off if it is really what you want to do you must not let the knockbacks stop you.
    Good Luck

3. Thank you both for your feedback.

I am also looking at doing a scitt course as an alternative. Do you have any experience/knowledge of this pathway? and could you recommend a good provider in or around London for primary education?

Thanks again.

4. Hi everyone

I have applied for a GTP in business studies at the moment im finding it very difficult to find a school that will take me on for the sept 2011 start. I have been emailing my covering letter and c.v. to schools, is this what you did in order to get onto the scheme??.

I really do wish i find a school for the Sept 2011 start but at the moment its like hitting a brick wall....please offer me some guidence.

thank you.

5. Welshwizard is absolutely right. GTP places are competitive particularly in non shortage areas. If you don't have experience as a volunteer, TA, support assistant in school, then you stand little chance of getting on one. Spend a year getting experience then apply next year.
    Also, some GTP providers do applications the other way around. You apply to the training provider first, then if successful in that round, you apply for posts advertised by schools.

6. I have applied for a GTP in business studies at the moment im finding it very difficult to find a school that will take me on for the sept 2011 start. I have been emailing my covering letter and c.v. to schools, is this what you did in order to get onto the scheme??.

Yes I emailed 40 schools with my CV including all school experience even workshops and work experience and in my covering letter mentioned why i felt the GTP was the right choice for me and what qualities i have to be a teacher ,that sort of thing.

Good Luck but in my opinion I think it is too late to get on to a GTP for sept 11 now. The more experience you have the better. I suggest you look for cover supervisor roles they are the best preparation.