1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

GTP process

Discussion in 'Trainee and student teachers' started by sufcgaz, Mar 4, 2012.

1. Finally, a place to discuss my career! I sincerly hope someone here can assist me.
    I work in a secondary school and have done for 6 years. I am teachiing Business Communication as an UQT. (Unqualified teacher) My school is 100% behind me in doing my GTP. I applied a few months ago and haven't heard anything since. There is no way to follow up as to what the status of the application is. I have rand TDA a few times now and always find them very unhelpful. They talk down to me like I am stupid which I find terribly annoying.
    As you have to choose a provider, I chose the county I live in however, there was no area for writing that I already have my school support to do my GTP. We are ready to go but I haven't even heard if I am going to get an interview. This process seems to be more of a wall than one of encouragement. As 21,000 people have applied for the GTP and there are only 4,100 positions, perhaps they feel they can be dismissive.
    I do't understand if one already has a providing school, why that isn't enough to start the process. Can someone assist me if they know something I perhaps should be doing that I am not aware of?
    It's very frustratig after 19 years in seconary education, 8 of which have been in a teaching role, why this is so difficult.
    Thank you in advance for any assistance anyone can offer...
    F.r.u.s.t.r.a.t.e.d.

2. Hi there!

Not sure if this helps but when I applied I had the same thing with a provider I applied to, I couldn't put the statement support letter on my application so I called them and they told me to email it to them! And 3 weeks ago they wrote to me offering me a place!

I hope this helps a little!

Tam x

3. Muttley_in_the_Midlands

Muttley_in_the_Midlands New commenter

I am in a similar position. I have a school placement but even after ringing the providers I am still waiting for any response. At half term one provider told me they were still shortlisting and another told me they hadn't yet been given their allocation (surprising.) I know there are a lot of applicants but some will be rejected at the application stage so they don't have to interview all of them.
    I am at the older end of the spectrum and I am beginning to suspect that all the youngsters are interviewed first and then places are made up with the ancients like myself if the course isn't filled.

4. welshwizard

welshwizard Established commenter Forum guide

The TDA have yet to confirm the funding for GTP courses so in many places the recruitment process is on hold. The number and allocation may also be subject to change and it is only shortage subjects like science and maths that have likelihood of funding as priorities. Even for PGCE courses universities are currently trading business studies courses in order to get viable cohorts.

5. welshwizard

welshwizard Established commenter Forum guide

What is only being confirmed this week is the actual funding for GTP -how much the salary grant will be and the contribution for on costs to the provider!

6. Muttley_in_the_Midlands

I see. Still seems needlessly complex for the providers though - both colleges and schools.

7. Muttley_in_the_Midlands

EM Direct is showing an example on their website that the costs to a school are just over £6K because they get a grant of approx £13K per student. I could understand why a school would be reticent to employ a GTP.
    But the admin effort at this stage for the colleges in matching funding to courses and applicants seems ridiculous. And that's before the schools have got involved. I could tell the TDA but why would they listen?
    I am rapidly giving up on the idea of ever becoming a teacher, at the moment it would be easier to invade Poland with heavy armour <SIGH>

8. If you need help finding a school sponsor, these people are the ones to speak too:
    www.gtpteachers.co.uk

Mat

9. HI.
    I am in the same position. I have a school, I have experience and I put in my application months ago. I am still waiting to hear anything...I have contacted a couple of places I applied to but was told they were looking at applications.
    Beginning to give up now, as it seems that a lot of people have now heard back and even been to interviews.
    Looks like it will probably be another year of UTS!!
    Good luck though

10. Muttley_in_the_Midlands

I am also at the point of giving up. I have 2 applications remaining and haven't heard a peep from either despite emailing and phoning.
    It's a rubbish training system in my humble opinion if I have a school willing to take me on and train me yet no college willing to provide a few seminars and a bit of accreditation.I really don't know what the hold-up is and why they are STILL looking at applications. They could have shortlisted a long time ago before the allocations came in. And even if they didn't, how many weeks does it take to shortlist? Even with a large number of applicants?
    I have had my life on hold for months, I can't continue to hang around waiting for rejection letters.