1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

GTP Primary

Discussion in 'Trainee and student teachers' started by Hercule, Mar 6, 2011.

1. Hi, I'm thinking of applying for the primary GTP and was wondering if anyone could give me more information on the nature of the training and assessment. Am I right in thinking that to gain QTS you need to demonstrate that you have met a number of 'standards' and that these standards are proven through a combination of classroom observation, essays and a portfolio containing examples of your planning/marking etc. Are observation-based standards judged by your mentor or by the course tutor who will observe you? If a course tutor only comes into school 4 times in the year, it would be very difficult to cram all those standards into 4 lessons...
    Or am I way off the mark with all of this?

Many thanks :)

2. All correct. The course tutor generally verifies that the school is observing lessons to the right standard, that's all. Most of the observational evidence will come from the school based mentors

3. Thanks for your replies!
    I have looked into a PGCE, but primary funding has been removed, and fees are likely (?) to go up from £3000 to £9000 next year which is when I would start, making such a route impossible. I've just spent 3 years paying off £20,000 of uni debts and I'm not prepared to take on any more loans!
    I'm looking particularly at applying through EM Direct this year as all university GTPs are full. Does anyone have any experience of them? I presume it's very similar to university-affiliated GTPs. I do need to find a school that would support me before I apply though (deadline Arpil!). Not having worked in any local schools (I did spend 2 years as a full time TA elsewhere) I'm wondering if they would be more reluctant to take me on (if they were even in a position to take anyone one) because I have no association with them through work or volunteering. I'll have to see I suppose! I'm going to offer to volunteer at any school that might express an interest.
    As for teaching, I'm quite happy to hit the ground running from day one as my TA role was very hands on and I was given quite a lot of responsibility - I'm not expecting it to be easy, mind! The one thing I'm worried about is leading assemblies which I know some schools (but not all) expect teachers to do. This is something I would find terrifying (simply due to the presence of adults) to an extent where I might not even be able to do it. If I get onto a GTP and do have to give an assembly I'm thinking of asking the other teachers to leave...in a nice 'you don't have to stay *smiley face*' kind of way...