1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

GTP Primary Nottingham Trent

Discussion in 'Trainee and student teachers' started by Ashton1986, Feb 11, 2012.

1. Hi Sarah
    I received a call on Thursday confirming a place on the course as they have now received there allocation of places. You heard anything yet? Not sure on all the details re placement school, funding etc. They said all would be confirmed soon and they will send info through the post
    Craig

2. Hi Craig,

Would you be kind enough to share your experiences of your GTP interview. I have mine on Thursday 16th at Derby Uni. I know that there are tests, a group interview and an individual interview.

Was wondering how you found the tests and to what level you think they are set at?

What sort of things they ask you in the group and individual interviews.

Any feedback would be gratefully received.

Congratulations on getting you GTP place at Nottingham Trent. I am there currently completing the BA Hons.

Thanks,

Jo

3. Hi Sarah,

Would you be kind enough to share your experiences of your GTP interview. I have mine on Thursday 16th at Derby Uni.

I know that there are tests, a group interview and an individual interview. Was wondering how you found the tests and to what level you think they are set at? What sort of things they ask you in the group and individual interviews.

Any feedback would be gratefully received.

Congratulations on getting you GTP place at Nottingham Trent. I am there currently completing the BA Hons.

Thanks, Jo

4. Hi Jo
    I had a maths test aimed at key stage 2- level 5, and english written test (essay format). We were given a topic to research for the English test in advance. The group presentation involved preparing a talk on any given topic (topic was given there and then and we had 15 minutes to prepare the presentation). Ours focused on integrating SEN children into mainstream schools. We had to decide as a group whether we were for or against the integration and be able to apply experience and evidence to back up our argument. We were then asked questions based on our presentation from other applicants and GTP staff. I can't remember much from the individual interview (was quite nervous) but all I will say is that all the staff were very friendly and wanted you to do well. It seemed quite informal unlike the sterotypical job interview. They wanted us to relax and feel comfortable. They want you to suceed! I would definitely recommend researching current educational issues as this will help alot throughout the process. For example I do remember being asked about current educational legislation during the individual interview.
    Hope this helps, good luck let me know how it goes!
    Craig

5. Hi Craig,

I received an email from Jenny (admin) on Wednesday confirming my place on the GTP for September 2012. I'm so excited and cannot wait! I was informed that a letter should be in the post confirming offer , although i haven't received mine as yet.

Have you got an employing school? The school i currently work at are my employing school so hopefully all will go to plan.

Here's to September!

6. Hi Jo,

As like Craig i had a maths test aimed at key stage 2- level 5, and english written test (essay format). We were given a topic to research for the English test in advance which was on Phonics and the Reading Test for Year 1s. This format is similar to last year (although the previous year we also had to choose a current educational issue and write a presentation on that topic lasting 5 minutes).

As Craig stated, "the group presentation involved preparing a talk on any given topic (topic was given there and then and we had 15 minutes to prepare the presentation)." The group that i was in looked at the argument, 'children read to love' against 'children need to establish a love of reading before being able to read'. At other interviews i've been to the group presentations seemed to be on VAK (Visual, Auditory and Kinaesthetic Learning), Behaviour management, cross-curricular learning, SEN integration and Phonics.

The individual interview asked questions on; aspirations to teach, what skills teacher have, how to ensure pupils achieve, how would you develop a lesson and link to other areas of the curriculum and what skills you will bring to teaching etc.

Look on the TDA website at the interview questions, as they will help, and look on the DfE website at current educational issues as they are key.

Hope this all helps and good luck!

Sarah

P.S Apologies, when my comment is posted the paragraphs are removed.

7. Thanks for that advice Sarah. I have had the same problem with paragraphs too! Doesn't look like a good advert for English does it? LOL! I have even tried to edit mine and put the paragraphs in again but as soon as you post it, the paragraphs merge into one. Oh well!

I have practised the TDA papers, researched all of the current education issues and looked at possible questions. I have checked my letter again but it doesn't indicate what you are expected to write about. I think this is quite nerve wracking because I like to ensure that I have researched a topic before writing about it

Good luck with the GTP.

Thanks again,
    Jo

8. Hi Craig,

Many thanks for replying. I have done loads of research and overworked my poor brain. I think that sometimes you just have to decide that enough is enough and go with it. Got brain overload at the moment. As I said to Sarah, it would be nice to have an insight into what you are expected to write about. I prefer to research a topic area first before having to write about it.

Good luck with your GTP.

I will let you know how I get on.

Thanks again,

Jo

9. Hi Jo and Sarah

Sarah- I also have a a school that have accepted me. Ive been volunteering there for the last year. However Trent have said that it doesnt mean I will definitely be at that school as they try to match you to a school that suits your strengths and weaknesses. But as long as we are on the GTP we will have a school!

Jo- No worries please let me know if you need any more help. I agree that sometimes you can do too much. I had so much swirling around in my brain on the interview day and didnt use most of it! Suppose on the plus side its good to have extra knowledge but not to over do it!

10. Hi Craig,

Yes i remember Trent stating that there is the possibility that we wont get to to the GTP in the school which we have chosen, and are willing to employ us, but i'm hoping that all goes well and we'll be able to. I've known my supporting school for 3 years and have worked there full time since last May, i love it! Like you say though, as long as we've got a place, which we have, we'll have a school and be starting in September!

When did you have your interview?

Sarah

11. I was in that group too! and I also have a place [​IMG] Not had a letter through yet though. Well Done

12. Hi Craig and Victoria,
    I received my confirmation letter yesterday, wahoo! Sent it back straight away today accepting place.
    Victoria, where you in my group?! Well done to everyone again! Sarah

13. Yes I think so! Is anyone else aware of the £2000 fee that we have to pay for towards the PGCE part of the course?

14. Ok great, we obviously impressed them! ;-)
    Is that £2000 for tuition fees? I knew they were £1500 this academic year and might have been going up for us but i havent heard anything regarding our fees as yet. Where did you find that out?

15. I expected it to be between 1500-2000 for the year however Trent have said that the fees havn't been released yet? I've enquired about adding the fee to my existing student loan which apparently is possible. That way it won't be such a blow to the bank!!

16. Hi all,
    Congratulatins to all of you that have now found out that you will be starting the GTP at trent in September. I am currently on the GTP and although intense it is great. Just be prepared to drown in a sea of paper and you will be fine so 1 tip is to practice treading water! If only it was that simple. On a more serious note the course is very rewarding but very hard work but you have to grab it with both hands and run with it. you get out of it exactly what you put into it. We have just completed our second school placements and are now to spend the rest of the academic year at our base schools. I would be happy to answer any questions or queries as there was a group similiar to this last year and it did help me.
    Take care and relax whilst you can, Claire xx

17. Hi Claire

Thankyou for your message, I really appreciate someone who is on the course offering advice! I suppose my main question is- what have you found to be the biggest challenge so far? Time management? Assignments? Planning? behaviour management? Assessments?

Thanks again
    Craig

18. Hi Claire,

Thanks for getting in touch and offering your advice, it's much appreciated :) I know from talking to the two GTP students we have had at my schoo,l last year and the one that finished her second placement at half-term, their advice and experience have definitely helped me so far to get prepared so another current student will help even more.
    One of my main concerns is my base school. I have an employing school for the GTP, it's my current workplace, and i really want to train here. I remember Janine (programme leader) stating at the interview that we may not get to train at the school we have chosen, as it may not deem suitable. So i was wondering if you know of anyone who have been unable to train at the school of their choice? Is this likely? As staying put would be a great disadvantage for both me and the pupils as i already know them.
    Also, are there any books, resources or documents we should gather together and look at prior to September?
    Thanks, Sarah

19. Hi everyone,

I have also been accepted on the GTP Primary Course starting in September 2012... Just waiting on more information regarding school and induction etc.

Looking forward to meeting you all.

Lorna

20. Congratulations Lorna! It's good to know of someone else who is on the course :)