1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

GTP Primary Interview - please can anyone help?

Discussion in 'Primary' started by spurs27, Jan 26, 2011.

1. My partner has just been offered an interview for a GTP Primary course (although was originally turned down as not enough classroom experience - however has appealed this based on misleading information given at an open evening and now been offered an interview...)! :)
    I teach secondary so have been able to offer some advice/support to him in preparing for interview - but my knowledge of Primary is very limited as I only teach GCSE and A-Level so rarely deal with younger students. Could anyone possibly offer any advice on what to expect from the interview? What specific questions they might ask? Anything subject related he may need to know? Etc.
    I know I am biased but he has an incredibly amount to offer and has many years experience working in media and other sectors so many transferable skills which would be great in teaching. He came and did some time in my school and was just brilliant with the students. This means so much to him and he is desperate to teach primary. I would greatly appreciate any advice or words of wisdom anyone can offer.
    Thanks so much indeed xx
    p.s - he has done a couple of days in primary school and a couple in a secondary school and also already organised a further two weeks in two different primary schools for later on in the year...

2. My partner has just been offered an interview for a GTP Primary course (although was originally turned down as not enough classroom experience - however has appealed this based on misleading information given at an open evening and now been offered an interview...)! :)
    I teach secondary so have been able to offer some advice/support to him in preparing for interview - but my knowledge of Primary is very limited as I only teach GCSE and A-Level so rarely deal with younger students. Could anyone possibly offer any advice on what to expect from the interview? What specific questions they might ask? Anything subject related he may need to know? Etc.
    I know I am biased but he has an incredibly amount to offer and has many years experience working in media and other sectors so many transferable skills which would be great in teaching. He came and did some time in my school and was just brilliant with the students. This means so much to him and he is desperate to teach primary. I would greatly appreciate any advice or words of wisdom anyone can offer.
    Thanks so much indeed xx
    p.s - he has done a couple of days in primary school and a couple in a secondary school and also already organised a further two weeks in two different primary schools for later on in the year...

3. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

To spurs27
    Really good to see a man who's interested in teaching at Primary level, we definitely need good role models for our littlies, who often have no or changing male models in the home environment.
    For Primary he'll be expected to teach right across the curriculum so a good knowledge across the curriculum possibly combined with expertise to offer in a couple of areas.
    He needs to 'sell' his personality during the interview, as this aspect is so much more of a factor in Primary. His capacity to enthuse pupils, with examples of where he's done this in the classroom, within the family etc.
    He'll need to show he's interested in children per se, not just teaching them 'facts' - a lot of Primary time is devoted to non-curriculum skills such as social skills etc.
    I wish him the best of luck!

4. We usually ask questions around:
    Why do you want to teach? We expect an clear set of values and an understanding of teaching as a vocation.
    Why our school? We expect they have taken time to find about about the school and it's characteristics and to have matched this up with what they require and what they can offer. We expect them to outline what is unique about our school.
    Behaviour Management: we expect a focus on positive strategies, effective consultation with children (e.g. agreeing rules), and understanding that sanctions may be needed and be convinced that the candidate will apply them firmly, understanding of the importance of consistency, know that the school policy must be followed, partnership with parents as part of this and need for IBPs and indivdual programmes for those with more significant problems.
    Good lessons: we expect an understanding of focus, pace, matched tasks and objectives, fun and engagement, progress in the lesson, effective deployment of staff and resources. We sometimes ask them to describe a good lesson they have seen and say how they know it was good.
    Strengths and areas for development: we expect to see a recognition of the candidate's strengths and what they need to develop and how they know this.
    Philosophy of education: we expect to see some understanding of what a philosophy is and for the candidate to have own, informed opinions about what the education system is for.
    A current issue in education: was ask for their views. We expect to see some knowledge of a current issue (we ask them to choose it) and what the benefits and disadvantages are.
    We also ask about team work- describe a way in which you have worked well in a team.
    There's usually a problem question- what would you do if...? (screaming parent, mad axeman on the playground). Always important to refer to the policy on this- but give a common sense answer.
    Some schools ask the 5 years question- where do you see yourself in 5 years?
    With safeguarding so prominent there will probably be something on this too- what would you do if...? Or what are your views on safeguarding? I'd expect a good understanding of security, safety in the curriculum, child protection.
    Be ready for the- do you have any questions at the end. You don't have to ask any, but think about it.
    Hope this helps.
    Tell him to:
    - dress smartly
    - be positive (but not a sycophant)
    - take his time to answer, think before he speaks and asks for questions repeated if needed
    - show a sense of humour but make it mild
    - if he is walked about the school, listen carefully, look at displays etc. and take time (if given) to talk to the children about that they are doing/learning
    Good luck!

5. Thank-you both so so much for these responses - that is incredibly helpful! I remember my PGCE interview and feeling so nervous but I think there is even more pressure on GTP as places are so limited and institutes don't even know what funding they will have yet. His interview is next week but the paperwork hasn't come through the post yet so he doesn't even know what he is supposed to base his presentation on or what to specifically prepare for. All your advice will certainly give us something to work towards over the weekend...
    MASSIVE thank-you indeed! xx