1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice
  3. The Teacher Q&A will be closing soon.

If you have any information that you would like to keep or refer to in the future please can you copy and paste the information to a format suitable for you to save or take screen shots of the questions and responses you are interested in.

Don’t forget you can still use the rest of the forums on theTes Community to post questions and get the advice, help and support you require from your peers for all your teaching needs.

Dismiss Notice

GTP primary interview - don't panic!!!!

Discussion in 'Trainee and student teachers' started by millymartin, Feb 22, 2011.

1. Just in case there is anyone who is worrying about the GTP interview, I thought I would write a few words of encouragement.
    I went to my interview today and had a great time. There were two interviewers and five candidates. We had an introduction by the course administrator and then straight into a group discussion. It was quite informal and very interesting as we all had different experiences. Following this, we each had a 10-15 minute interview. Again, this was fairly informal and felt like an enjoyable discussion with like-minded people,rather than an interview.
    I don't currently work in a school and have only been volunteering since September. The group was really well mixed so don't feel intimidated or worried about competing.
    My advice is to remember two things: you wouldn't be there if you didn't stand a good chance and there is every possiblilty that all of the people in your group could get a place.
    Finally, be yourself.
    Good luck everyone!

2. Just in case there is anyone who is worrying about the GTP interview, I thought I would write a few words of encouragement.
    I went to my interview today and had a great time. There were two interviewers and five candidates. We had an introduction by the course administrator and then straight into a group discussion. It was quite informal and very interesting as we all had different experiences. Following this, we each had a 10-15 minute interview. Again, this was fairly informal and felt like an enjoyable discussion with like-minded people,rather than an interview.
    I don't currently work in a school and have only been volunteering since September. The group was really well mixed so don't feel intimidated or worried about competing.
    My advice is to remember two things: you wouldn't be there if you didn't stand a good chance and there is every possiblilty that all of the people in your group could get a place.
    Finally, be yourself.
    Good luck everyone!

3. Aah thanks for this millymartin... I have a GTP interview, my first, in March with Kingsbridge Consortium in Wigan - really looking forward to it.. but not so much nervous yet as i don't even know what to expect. I've only had an email to say the first half hour will be a literacy test then second half hour will be an interview. I've emailed them for more detail but heard nothing back as yet.
    Can you shed any light at all please?? What should I expect from the literacy test? Also a tiny bit conerned as only one other person has posted on here to say they have an interview at the same place and neither of us has had any more info than this.
    Think i'll give them a call on Friday and see if i get anywhere this way. But thanks for the post... does make me feel positive, we can only do our best, no point fretting about it when we've made this far, must be doing something right!
    Thanks

4. Hey
    I was also searching on here for some hints and tips about GTP interview, got an interview with Kingsbridge on 10th March, really excited after unsucessfully applying to a PGCE a couple of times. I must admit the communication about the interview is abit vague and has left me feeling abit worried about underpreparing for it. From reading the forums on here it sounds like it will be a fairly informal first contact to see how we interact with people and what experiences/potential we have. Can I ask what your background in education is? I only have around 4 months of working as a primary TA, but with a good reference from that. Just hope I can do myself justice in the interview!!
    Best

John

5. Hi
    The interview process seems to be different everywhere. I wouldn't worry too much about the set-up - as you rightly say it is quite informal. I didn't have to do any tests - the provider I'm with do that during the school observation visit. Have a look on the QTS website at their practice skills tests as this is the standard they want you to meet.
    http://www.tda.gov.uk/trainee-teacher/qts-skills-tests.aspx
    I'm not even working in a school yet. I've been volunteering since September in my spare time and I received notice that I passed the interview stage. As long as you are passionate and have a good overall knowledge of current issues and what goes in to teaching you'll be fine.
    Good luck to you both

6. Hi John... I finally heard back from Kingsbridge on what to expect from the first interview, had to do a bit of chasing mind! But his is what they said...
    "The interview will be based around your reasons for wanting to become a teacher, your knowledge of the Primary Curriculum and your experience in schools so far. The Literacy Test is simply a piece of writing to look mainly at your spelling and grammar."Doesn't sound like it'll be too gruelling, but this doesn't mean we can relax too much since there are only 16 places to give! I've only been working at a school one day a week since November - i've learnt so much though so hope this shows in my interview next week.
    I feel so much better having this information now, I can happily prepare knowing what I'm preparing for, whereas before i had no idea as the interview process does seem to vary so much between providers.
    Thanks guys... good luck to you both!

7. Thanks for that! A relief to know there arent going to be any nasty surprises on the day! From the advice I've had the key is to relax and be yourself, sounds a bit obvious, but I guess you can get a bit carried away with trying to say everything you think they want to hear and not get across your personality and enthusiasm. I'm sure we'll all do fine! best of luck.

All the best

John

8. terri1972

terri1972 New commenter

Well it's right not to tie yourself up in knots over it, but I would reiterate that interviews are different everywhere. I had quite a formal interview which lasted over an hour! And out tests were on a different day. We had to gain a certain mark on them to even get an interview!!
    However, if you're prepared you can get through it!! Lol. I am now looking forward to finishing now, so best of luck to you all - it goes extremely fast!!
    Terri

9. neilhoultram

neilhoultram New commenter

Hi guys.

Just thought I'd say Hi and wish you luck on the outcome of the interviews. I had an interview with Kingsbridge last Thursday. I was plased with how it went but I also know that the competition is pretty high this year - if only they had places for us all! Lets all keep our fingers crossed and hope that we have all done enough. Keep in touch and let me know if you hear anything and I will do likewise.

All the best,

Neil

10. Hi Neil, i had mine last friday... i think it went well but then you always feel you could have answered some questions a bit better. However, the interview panel were lovely and made me feel very relaxed.
    They said they will have done 46 first stage interviews by the end of last week, i was number 45!! Eek! Not sure how many they're taking through to next stage but we'll know at some point this week... fingers crossed for us all!

11. Hi Neil, i had mine last friday... i think it went well but then you always feel you could have answered some questions a bit better. However, the interview panel were lovely and made me feel very relaxed.
    They said they will have done 46 first stage interviews by the end of last week, i was number 45!! Eek! Not sure how many they're taking through to next stage but we'll know at some point this week... fingers crossed for us all!

12. neilhoultram

neilhoultram New commenter

I felt exactly the same way - I should have said this, I should have said that.... there's so much riding on it I don't think they expect the world but as long as you have done your best and they have a good idea of who you are and what you are about then I think you will be fine. So 46 interviews for 15 places (11 of which are for Primary) I make that around 3 interviews for every one place (ish) I wonder if they will shortlist two for each prospective school? Must be so hard for them but it can't be any harder than it is for us waiting! Either way it sounds like we have all done all we can. I will keep everything crossed for you - lets hope we hear soon! Take care,

Neil

13. Hi All,

I have my interview with Kingsbridge tomorrow, but mine is for secondary! Slightly nervous but feel ok at the minute! Were there any particularly difficult questions? Have you heard how many secondary applicants they are interviewing.
    Glad yours seemed to go well, keep us posted with any news!

14. Hi All,

I have my interview with Kingsbridge tomorrow, but mine is for secondary! Slightly nervous but feel ok at the minute! Were there any particularly difficult questions? Have you heard how many secondary applicants they are interviewing?
    Glad yours seemed to go well, keep us posted with any news!