1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

GTP primary intereview London Southbank

Discussion in 'Trainee and student teachers' started by jasminemay, Mar 13, 2011.

1. Has anyone had a interview at London South Bank. If so what sort of questions do they ask ?

2. Has anyone had a interview at London South Bank. If so what sort of questions do they ask ?

3. Have you had your interview with them yet?

If so what questions did they ask? What was the written task about?

4. They give you two newspaper articles, that you have to read and write about the main points of the article. From memory they were about English.
    Then they divide you into groups, based on your current experience ie if you are experienced with KS2 year 5 you work with those people, if you are experienced with KS1 year 1 you work with those people. With your group you have to plan and present a lesson. You have about 10 minutes to work out what type of lesson and who will present what part and then to present it , to two interviewers. They then ask individual questions, whilst you are still in the group. You then move with your group to two different interviewers and they ask questions like, what is the current issue in education, what is a memorable thing that has happened whilst you have been working in schools. I hope this helps. My interview was quite a long time ago, I am afraid and I have forgotten more of the detail. The course coordinators and interviewers were very friendly and supportive.

5. Thanks, that is really helpful.
    How did you find your interview and how many were in your grouo? Have you heard back from them yet?

6. I was really nervous, but I found that because the interviewer were encouraging, I got used the situation and grew more confident. There were 5 in my group. They all worked as a team and respected each other, not one person dominated the group which was really good. They tell you at the interview when you will hear back. approx three weeks.

7. Thanks for your help
    I got a place!!

8. Hi Ladyc23
    I read this thread with interest as I am in the same position. I have an interview with South Bank next week for the GTP. Was your interview similar to the one described by the other member? Was it a similar group work task? I also wondered if there are any written tests as such. The LSBU Web site mentions English and maths written tests, but this is not mentioned in the interview letter. Any advice or help would be gratefully received. Thanks.

9. Mine was exactly the same, the articles may have been different, but the structure was the same.
    There were no tests, the only written piece was to answer the question based on the articles.
    My advice would be to have a few of your own school experiences in mind, or if you don't have any school experience, experience with children that shows why you want to be a teacher for example.
    Also, speak up. They are looking for people who contribute in the discussions, are aware of current educational issues, can voice their views and opinions and can back them up. DON'T sit there and let the confident characters (there WILL be at least one in your group!) take the limelight and talk the whole time. Don't be afraid to find an opening and interrupt them (politely of course).
    PARTICIPATION IS THE KEY when it comes to the group activities!!
    Hope this was helpful. Be sure to let me know how it went.
    Good luck.

10. Thanks for this, very helpful. I rang the university and they said
    there are definitely no tests, just a written exercise. I do have some
    school experience from helping out and I have had a few weeks of
    classroom observations where I was given teaching reponsibilities, so I
    do have some experiences to call upon!
    I am a confident talker but
    I'm not 'pushy' as I tend to be humble as being pushy can come across as impolite! This is why I
    prefer more normal interviews where I'm the sole interviewee! I guess I'll just have to assess the
    other characters in the group and 'butt in' if I need to! How many were
    in the group? Is there actually a one-to-one interview as such, or is
    that done as part of a group as well? (It appears it's done as a group according to the other contributor.) I'm concerned that I won't get
    enough of a chance to get my personality across.
    Also, did you
    have to present a lesson? I feel a bit nervous about that, since I don't
    really have experience of lesson planning, that's something you expect
    to learn when you take the course. I'm perfectly confident speaking out
    in front of people, but as long as I'm confident in what I'm talking
    about! If you did have to present a lesson, what was it about? I feel like it would be weird pitching a lesson to adults. Do you have to do it in such a way as you would if they were children?
    Sorry about all the questions! I just want to feel like I am as prepared as I can possibly be. I really appreciate your taking the time to reply to my post, it's most helpful.

11. Hi Cozza1969,
    I'm SO SORRY for not replying before your interview (and only now). I keep forgetting to log into this site.
    I really hope your interview went well. If it went at all like mine, you will have been fine.
    Have you heard anything yet?
    Sorry again.

12. Hi ladyc23
    Haha that's OK, I got a place! Thanks for replying. I was really nervous about the interview, and you were so helpful I just wanted to know a few more things. All that you said was true, and I did make myself heard in the group discussions, but then the other people that were in my group didn't really seem to be any worse than me so I don't know how they separated us! Maybe all of my group got a place!I found out the day before Christmas eve so I was relaxed for Christmas. They gave nothing away so I had no idea how I did. Because of the group nature of the interview, I didn't get much feedback.
    I think the process is changing next year but I will put some details in here for anybody else reading this post! I felt the interview process was quite impersonal so I was worried about getting my personality across. I think I only had one question directed at me. There was no one-to-one at all, it was all done with the group. I think there were 30 odd people to start with, all sat in a big room. First we had to show our documantation (make sure they are original copies!). We then had to read a newspaper article about an educational issue and write a 40 minute essay. I would say to others, they are obviously checking up on your grammar and spelling here, so if you're not sure about something, think of a different way to say it! Then we were split into groups of about 7, and had to answer questions individually or discuss things as a group.The questions were things like, "say something interesting you have seen in school," and "talk about some current issues in education." They gave us some core values at the start of the interview, and we had to incorporate those into our answers where possible! They were taking notes and tick boxes, so I think you have to show specific qualities like enthusiasm, ability to speak clearly and politely within a group and your understanding and awareness of education issues and how subjects are taught in schools.
    The worst part was the group activity. This is the part I was least looking forward to as I wasn't sure what to expect. We basically had to plan how we would pitch a lesson. We had to decide on the lesson subject (eg. guided reading), discuss what age group it would be pitched at, and how we would deal with the various abilities and continuous assessment etc.The time ran out really quickly. There were two interviewers watching while we discussed, so it was important to make yourself heard and make valid and relevant points. I think they just wanted to know that you can work well in a group and that you have worked in a school. The things you say are proof of what you have learned in your school experience.
    I would say to anyone who is doing school observations, make sure you find out what the nitty-gritty everyday lesson involves, and how it relates to the curriculum. Also, get involved in as many different types of lesson, and understand how the core subjects are taught to the different ability groups, as well as the other lesson types like citizenship etc
    I was also unsure about what to wear to the interview. I asked a teacher, who said "go all out smart! Full-on suited and booted!" Some people were quite casual, but I would err on the side of caution and be smart!