1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

GTP/PGCE bias?

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by wildecoyote, Nov 10, 2011.

1. Hey Folks,
    I am 17 applications in for an NQT post with still no sight of an interview. I asked the headteacher from my previous school to have a look at my application and he said it was good. However, he did hint that there may be a bias against applications from those who trained on the GTP route like myself as opposed to those who took the PGCE. I have a wealth of experience working in schools and with young people and I turned down a place on the PGCE as I have a family and financially it would have been impossible. I was just wondering if anyone had any thoughts. Is the constant rejection making me paranoid???

2. I just think its the way things are at the moment.
    I'm 25+ applications in for an NQT post (PGCE trained, mature, worked with children for 15yrs etc etc etc), had 2 interviews.
    So no, I don't think there a bias either way. There is a lack of jobs and lots of competition.

3. lilykitty

lilykitty New commenter

I remember hearing a similar thing when I was coming to the end of my PGCE, only then it was a bias towards people who had completed a BEd.
    I don't think these things really hold up - people are far more likely to be influenced by their experience of the different courses than the courses in general. I worked with a teacher who was adamant that people completing a BEd would always be far superior to those who did a PGCE (she had done a BEd) until she got a student on a BEd course and a colleague had a student on a PGCE course. Her student drove her mad and the PGCE student was a gem!
    You will come across people with different biases, but they are as likely to prefer a GTP survivor as any other route into teaching, so don't give up!

4. Hi
    I don't know how many applications in I am but I've had 5 (unsuccessful [​IMG]) interviews and I'm GTP trained. If anything, I've been told there is a preference for GTP because they 'can hit the ground running'.

5. Thanks for the posts guys. I was happy with the standard of my application so I guess I was looking for a "scapegoat". Its reassuring to hear im not the only one struggling. Best of luck in your search (unless you want to be a PE teacher in the East Midlands ;-)

6. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

Just have a look back through previous posts. Do a search something like struggling to find a job. There must be hundreds of unemployed teachers, GTPs, PGCEs, NQTs who've been let go after one year, returners, etc. etc who are all struggling.