1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

GTP (Performing Arts) Visit to potential school- Any tips???

Discussion in 'Trainee and student teachers' started by KitKat_300015, Jun 14, 2011.

1. Hi everyone,
    Whilst trying to get the backing of at least one school for the GTP (Performing Arts) I have found a school that are really impressed by my CV and want me to come and see the school. I have arranged a two day visit (as it is about 100 miles from where I live) so that I get a good chance to look round, get involved in the studio, meet staff etc. The head of department seems lovely however now I'm just worried that I will look stupid if I ask the wrong questions or do the right thing.

Any tips anyone???
    :)

2. welshwizard

welshwizard Established commenter Forum guide

Read the Ofsted on the school and base some specific questions on the department and the findings. Question them about their experience with GTP are they new to it or do they have a track record. How much teaching time is allocated, how expoerienced is the mentor.What has been the experience of previous GTP's are they still employed by the school? Try and relax and remember an interview is a two way process and you need to be sure what they provide in way of training is suitable for you.

3. cupofteacher

cupofteacher New commenter

Sorry, unsure of how much experience you have, so forgive me if anything sounds patronising.
    Find out if you were to train there what their expectations would be of you in terms of extra curricular. Be prepared to give up evenings, weekends and holidays for extra curricular in addition to your GTP workload.
    Find out what specs they teach, BTEC, GCSE etc and try and get to grips with them. BTEC is very paperwork heavy, so good to get an understanding on it in advance. Also ask about set texts/texts they teach along with any trips planned so you can read up on those.
    I agree that it is a two way process and you need to feel happy with the support they offer you. It might be worthwhile finding out about twilight training too (additional training at school often for NQTs etc).
    Unlikely, but you could ask if they have any productions coming up before summer that you could go along to watch?
    I would probably be prepared for questions such as strengths/weaknesses that you think you have, why performing arts etc.

4. Thanks both for your responses, they have been really helpful and I will definately use them.

The school has performing arts status so I know that I am likely to have to give up alot of time in extra-curricular and already have the specs to read after the summer hols lol. I will ask about texts and specs etc so I know in advance.