1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

GTP Pay and How to Prepare

Discussion in 'Trainee and student teachers' started by sparkle90, Mar 31, 2011.

1. Pay is more than that depending on where u live e.g about 19k where I am in greater London. Google teacher pay scales and the Tda website official page should come up. Or just ask ur school! Reasonable question!

2. Hi,

I am currently on the GTP and I bring home just over £900 per month.

If I could recommend anything it would be a bit of background reading (but not too much!) I have found Shirley Clarkes books fantastic for lesson planning and assessment. Sue Cowley is very good for behaviour.

If you have any further questions please feel free to ask.

xx

3. Hi there, I also have a GTP place in September at the school where I currently work and have been told I will get unqualified teacher pay which is 15,800. My problem is that I was told i would get a contract for a year but my head has told me I will only be paid until end of July which means i wont have any money after that until I start a post in september. Is this normal or should I be getting paid until end of August? Lou

4. I'm current GTP. As far as I understand, I'm on £15,800ish. I usually end up with just over £1000/month after student loans, NI, tax and pension. As far as I understand, I'm employed until then end of August. I have a contract around here to check....somewhere......

My advice for preparation? Enjoy the free time you have now, relax, and charge your batteries. You'll need them next year! (Possibly read up a little on your subject knowledge if anything)....

From a very happy (despite probably having to be up until after midnight marking these damn books), current GTP

5. englishteach101

englishteach101 Occasional commenter

Outside of london, the money this year is about £15800. Inner london will always be more.

Definitely enjoy the time you have now, spend time with friends and family, as they probably won't see you much next year! (Sad but true). Defiitely don't try to do too much as there'll be plenty to do in September. Pick up a few tips-style books, but don't try to get into anything too heavy (I tried reading a pedagogy book before I started and only succeeded in confusing myself).
    It is worth it though, I'm starting to feel that there's light at the end of the tunnel, with about 10 actual weeks (not school weeks) left until I'm signed off. The NQT year is easier (or so I'm promised........)

6. Hi,
    Congratulations on obtaining your offer - I too have been offered a place to start Sept 2011 with Worcs Uni. I queried that same point about pay as the various schools I am in contact with, want to know exact (or as close as possible) fees/ costs etc. Worcs Uni told me that until the TDA release exact figures they can't tell me anything, which is a little frustrating - as we have a deadline to work to, to secure our placement school.
    They have suggested that we prepare for next year by reading "Learning to Teach in the Primary School" (Arthur, J., Grainger, T., & Wray, D., (2006)) so that is what I will be reading - although a friend' father who is a mentor in Nottingham is looking at further suggested reading matter!
    Good luck with it all and enjoy the next few months!