1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

GTP Oxon Bucks - Basic written English test?

Discussion in 'Trainee and student teachers' started by misswhite90, Feb 12, 2012.

1. Hi all,

I have just been told that I have an interview for the GTP at Oxford Brookes. I was so excited to make the shortlist but am now even more nervous as I feel so close to getting the place.

Part of the interview stated that we would have to take a basic written English test. This is followed by a 5 minute presentation and a 25 minute formal interview. Has anyone already had their interview or had an interview in the past that gave a basic written english test? I am just wondering what exactly this involves?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!!

2. Hi all,

I have just been told that I have an interview for the GTP at Oxford Brookes. I was so excited to make the shortlist but am now even more nervous as I feel so close to getting the place.

Part of the interview stated that we would have to take a basic written English test. This is followed by a 5 minute presentation and a 25 minute formal interview. Has anyone already had their interview or had an interview in the past that gave a basic written english test? I am just wondering what exactly this involves?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!!

3. I had my GTP interview day with Somerset SCITT last week. Although all the interview formats are different, I thought I'd tell you what was in my English test. We were given three texts: an extract from Harry Potter, a persuasion text about Australia and a poem by R. Frost. We had on-screen questions about where there was a simile etc. The bit I found difficult was finding the grapheme/morpheme, I couldnt remember for the life of me what they were! We got our results after submitting each test which was nice. We were also told that theyre not basing our acceptance on the results, they will only be used to see where we need to improve if we are selected. I now have to wait for 2/3 weeks for the results! Good luck!

4. Thanks for letting me know. I hope we can see the results automatically that would be really nice!

I do have a feeling that as it was described as a basic written english test it wont effect our acceptance but you never know do you! I have my fingers crossed for you!

5. Last year, we were presented with a short article from BBC education ( I think ) on the European Bac. We had about 20 mins to write our opinion in approx 300 words.

6. How did it go on Tuesday?! [​IMG]

7. When I did it we were given an article about video games in teaching. I had to write giving my opinion. I was told the emphasis wasn't on my opinion, but rather on general punctuation and grammar to ensure a basic level.

8. Has anyone heard any news as yet? I am so very anxious x

9. Herringthecat

Herringthecat New commenter

Not yet, here. they said by Friday.
    I was in 'my' school yesterday and they promised that if they hear before me (although they say they can't remember how the system works at their end) they will let me know. I had an email saying that there would be letters coming in the post... argh!

10. The wait is just killing me. Words can't explain how much I want this and how nervous I am. What a life changing letter we're waiting for. Good luck to you also! Which subject have you applied to teach?

11. Herringthecat

Herringthecat New commenter

I am applying for MFL. But I am going away this evening until Friday... I wish they could just do it by email!