1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

GTP or PGCE? Advice please.

Discussion in 'Trainee and student teachers' started by sarahlsa, Mar 11, 2011.

1. I am in the fortunate position of being offered a place on both and just wondered what the best route would be. I am a mature (age prob not in the sensible sense!!) mum of three who is currently studying for a BA(Hons) and I have 7 yrs experience as a HL/TA.
    Any one got any thoughts on which would be best?
    Thanks

2. Eamaz

Eamaz New commenter

In fairness, you might want to look for responses on other forums because the odds will be skewed heavily on the GTP's favour due to us all being on the programme. I was speaking to a HoD the other day and she said she would recommend the GTP for anyone with previous educational experience due to them knowing the ins and outs of schools more. However, In my experience there is a little bit of snobbery around employers and the PGCE. Some job adverts have explicitly referenced that a PGCE is a must and that QTS is not enough. I have also heard of employers favouring PGCE because it gives students a more academic focus whilst training. The flip side of that is like the posts above - GTP'ers are generally more knowledgable about school life and are quicker to find their feet.

Pete

3. MarkS

MarkS New commenter

Having worked in schools for 13 years, I've personally never come across any teacher (or school leader) who would look for a PGCE in preference to a GTP trained teacher. Some don't care - most believe the GTP is a better preparation for classroom teachers.
    I wholeheartedly agree with the point about University academics, teaching teachers how to teach having not taught themselves for many years...dubious at best! However, some of the people that run GTP courses (outside of the schools) are just as bad!!!
    Mark