1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

GTP/NQT training

Discussion in 'New teachers' started by sandraottley, Feb 7, 2012.

1. I trained in a standard comprehensive school, which was undergoing changes - eg new head and massive drive to up results, and make their mark. Consequently my mentor was run ragged - and I was pretty much left to get on with it. Not knowing what to expect I just did that. I passed with a satisfactory with good elements. I didn't get a post in the school, but wasn't told until late on, and then found that they had taken on another GT, but also given her a term paid as an unqualified teacher. It was all kept very quiet. I have struggled to find work, and will openly admit I have a lot to learn still, but am very willing. I have had some odd days supply - which are soul destroying and have recently had 2 x half terms of work in a challenging school. I was dropped with little notice into a full timetable belonging to an experienced member of staff who was on long term absence. Around 80% of the classes were challenging - unexpectedly the teacher returned, although I was advised that they would register me on the NQT and let me do a full term - so that would mean I had another half term to go. However at parents evening, I was seriously undermined by the returning teacher in front of the parents and found out that after half term she, their 'proper' teacher would be taking them back, and that their behaviour would improve. I was left then to ask, what that meant for me and HOD referred me to HT and no response was received until leaving the school on a Friday evening and just by chance happened to be present and then said oh - by the way.... I am left wondering what I have done, as I have not had any complaints or warnings and as yet no reply as to what has happened to make them change their minds. I am now in the position of feeling a complete failure, and with no guidance as to how I can address the problem - if indeed there is one.

I do feel that school based training is a little wanting - no teacher let alone a head of department has time to guide trainees, it is a case of being thrown hot potatoes and having to deal with them. I don't think that makes for the best teacher training.

2. I trained in a standard comprehensive school, which was undergoing changes - eg new head and massive drive to up results, and make their mark. Consequently my mentor was run ragged - and I was pretty much left to get on with it. Not knowing what to expect I just did that. I passed with a satisfactory with good elements. I didn't get a post in the school, but wasn't told until late on, and then found that they had taken on another GT, but also given her a term paid as an unqualified teacher. It was all kept very quiet. I have struggled to find work, and will openly admit I have a lot to learn still, but am very willing. I have had some odd days supply - which are soul destroying and have recently had 2 x half terms of work in a challenging school. I was dropped with little notice into a full timetable belonging to an experienced member of staff who was on long term absence. Around 80% of the classes were challenging - unexpectedly the teacher returned, although I was advised that they would register me on the NQT and let me do a full term - so that would mean I had another half term to go. However at parents evening, I was seriously undermined by the returning teacher in front of the parents and found out that after half term she, their 'proper' teacher would be taking them back, and that their behaviour would improve. I was left then to ask, what that meant for me and HOD referred me to HT and no response was received until leaving the school on a Friday evening and just by chance happened to be present and then said oh - by the way.... I am left wondering what I have done, as I have not had any complaints or warnings and as yet no reply as to what has happened to make them change their minds. I am now in the position of feeling a complete failure, and with no guidance as to how I can address the problem - if indeed there is one.

I do feel that school based training is a little wanting - no teacher let alone a head of department has time to guide trainees, it is a case of being thrown hot potatoes and having to deal with them. I don't think that makes for the best teacher training.

3. jubilee

jubilee Star commenter

Two half terms of p/t teaching does not constitute an Induction term, even though you can be registered on Induction if being employed p/t for a term's length. If the post is extended and you get in the equivalent service of a f/t school term, an Induction term can be finalised.
    GTP and PGCE teaching practices can vary immensely in terms of the support and guidance given. On one of my TPs at a challenging school, it was decided that each Spanish class be split between me and the permanent teacher to make it more manageble for both of us. I had the top achievers in some classes and the bottom half of others. It meant that I taught all the classes unsupervised and with no guidance and I only had a teacher present and aware of what I was doing when I was teaching French.
    The best advice I can offer, when you next get a longer-term post (even if not part of Induction) is to ask other teachers if you can assist/observe in any of your free lessons / PPA time.

4. Your experience is regretable and the downside of pushing teacher traiuning into schools without proper support. Mr Gove has decided that school-based teacher training is better than that offered by universities (even though OFSTED disgrees) and I suspectthat your experience will become more and more common. Teachers have enough to do without taking on all the problems that teacher training brings - that's whyhaving providers who can offer support from outside works.
    If you are registered for induction then it must be for at least a term in length (full or part time) but if you only do the full time part time then you can be left with no induction time counted.
    For future reference you do need to make sure that any post you take will let you build up actual inductuon time.
    James