1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

GTP, now storm is out of the question

Discussion in 'Primary' started by shootingstars, Dec 24, 2011.

1. shootingstars

shootingstars New commenter

Hi, I was wondering if anyone knows of any providers for GTP that would let me do my placement in Manchester? I had sent my application off to Storm, that was the provider for Manchester, but as they so kindly told me 2 days ago (notice my sarcastic tone) they will not be carrying on doing the GTP for the year 2012 onwards. This is after I have attended open evenings and made sure I had all the relevant qualifications plus all the contact I have had with them over the past year. So now I'm stuck as I can't afford to do the PGCE route and can't seem to find any alternative. Please help

2. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

I don't know that you're going to like my reply, but I believe one of the reasons they're 'discontiuing it', is because there is a tremendous glut of teachers at present. Many trainees from the past 3-5 years are STILL LOOKING for thei<u>r first</u> teaching post! So I think many other former suppliers will be holding fire on the training for a while.
    So it really doesn't make sense to keep on training more people, who are potentially going to be more disappointed, after having done all that training to possibly end up unemployed and scraping by on JSA. Just pop along and read some threads on Jobseekers, Unemployed or Supply forums. We're even celebrating when people get part-time work at well known superstores!
    So you may have to put off that training for a few years. The qualifications will still be there in a few years time and you'll have some more life experience to bring to teaching.

3. I did GTP a few years ago. It's a really, really competitive route into teaching, and pretty much everyone on my course had applied to several different providers, both for GTP and PGCE. It's simply too competitive to put all your hopes with one provider.
    I agree with Lara, it's likely that providers are cutting back on the number of trainees being trained each year in a very sensible response to the current job market. There is simply no point in continuing to train so many teachers each year when there are so few jobs available and, as Lara said, so many trainees from the last few years who have not even started an NQT post.
    I know it's upsetting. I had to wait a year and reapply to my chosen providers, and it seemed like the end of the world at the time. Use that year wisely and it really could work in your favour for applying next year - you could volunteer in different schools, try and find work as a TA on a short term contract, work in a school library.... all experience with schools and young people will enhance your application next time round.

4. shootingstars

I've done the whole experience thing, I used to work for an agency so worked in a lot of diferent schools, have also worked in a private nursery where I was promoted to deputy manager and have worked in my current school as a TA for coming onto 4 years (with varied age groups) so as you can see have done the experince thing. And was hoping that this year would be my time out to get even more experience, but now that Storm have stopped doing GTP am unsure which route to go. I have spent the past 3 years working full time and gaining my degree, what do I do now???

5. quietlydetermined

quietlydetermined New commenter

I'm going to have to agree with the "wait and see" advice I'm afraid. It's really tough out there at the moment. It took me 3years of gaining experience and doing without a wage or on a very low wage as a TA to get on to a PGCE. Completing teacher training does not guarantee a job either - there are still lots of people from my own PGCE, some who received "outstanding" during training, who are not employed - either working in another job sector or trying to survive on supply. I do hope you get where you want to and I wish you the very best of luck. I'm sorry it's not the most positive post, I just want you to realise that lots of people are in the same boat you are!

6. shootingstars

Thanks for all the advice, guess I can't say more than that at the moment [​IMG]