1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

gtp newman!!! interview help plz!!!

Discussion in 'Trainee and student teachers' started by samlong86, Jan 17, 2011.

1. hi everyone,

i have my interview for an art and design GTP this week at newman college birmingham on Thursday!! im having a major panic as i have no idea of how the interview process will work.. as its art and design will it be based around my practice? art and design educational issues? or will it be on a broader scale?

I want this soooo much have applied in the past for pgce courses but got rejected at the final stage so have taken some time off got lots of experience and now work full-time in a secondary school. I know I can do this and its all i want!! so ant advice/tips would be great .

Thanks

Sam

2. englishteach101

englishteach101 Occasional commenter

Hi Sam!
    I'm currently doing my Secondary GTP through Newman, and went through the same thing as you last year. It's really stressful before you actually get in there, but then they do their absolute best to put you at your ease.
    Basically, if you're at the final interview stage, you'll be having an interview with a member of the programme leaders and your school based trainer from your lead school. The Newman person asks most of the questions and they both make notes, really informally around a table in an office, nothing mega scary. I can't remember the specific questions but I think certainly one of them was
    'Why do you want to be a teacher?', and 'Why Newman?'. I would also prepare to speak about some examples of behaviour management and how you would motivate a class through creativity. The main point of the interview seemed to be that they wanted to know the real me, as it's a difficult course and they need to know you've got the stuff to survive it.
    Once they've finished asking questions, you leave the room (I just wandered the corridors trying not to get lost...) for a bit whilst they have a conversation about you. They don't give you a decision on the day, normally takes the full 3 weeks for the letter to come, but they can certainly give you some indication whether you've answered the questions positively or negatively. Remember even if they're positive you can still be turned down as it's the most popular (and the best) EBITT provider in Birmingham so they're heavily over-subscribed.

Good luck and let me know how it goes!!
    Sam

3. Hi sam,

Thanks very much having a mega stress, thing is I know I can do it, its just a matter of showing that in the interview.

Thanks again and il let you know how it goes

Sam

4. englishteach101

englishteach101 Occasional commenter

I did exactly the same, don't worry! You can do it!!![​IMG]